A great recipe to use up leftover cooked chicken, this Crock-Pot Creamy Chicken Mushroom Soup pairs great with a salad & rolls for a fantastic dinner or lunch!
Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Mushroom Soup
If you need a recipe to use up some leftover cooked chicken (or store-bought rotisserie chicken) and you LOVE mushrooms as much as I do, then, this warm, hearts and creamy chicken mushroom soup is going to be your new favorite!
The recipe only takes but a few minutes to prepare everything with the hardest part being sautéing the diced onions in some butter, then cooking in some flour to create a roux that will nicely thicken the soup as it cooks (without using a can of “cream of something” soup.
The soup is then flavored with chicken broth (store bought or you can use yummy homemade chicken broth), diced carrots, thyme and tarragon. Everything is cooked for about 6 hours on LOW temperature which allows for the carrots to cook and the flavors to really meld together.
Then you add in some lovely half & half (or cream) and let the soup cook for just 30 minutes more to create that lovely creamy soup.
And then dinner is served!
Equipment Needed For Crock-Pot Creamy Chicken Mushroom Soup Recipe:
- 6 Quart, 6.5 Quart Or 7 Quart Slow Cooker
- Cutting Board
- Medium Skillet
- Wooden Spoon
- Dry Measuring Cups And Measuring Spoons
- Liquid Measuring Cup
More Crockpot Mushroom Recipes To Try:
Crock-Pot Creamy Chicken Mushroom Soup Recipe
- ¼ Cup Unsalted Butter
- 1 Small Yellow Onion (Peeled And Finely Diced)
- ½ Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 32 Ounces Sliced White Mushrooms
- 6 Medium Carrots (Peeled And Diced)
- 5 Cups Low-Sodium Chicken Broth (Store Bought Or Homemade Chicken Broth)
- 2 Cups Cooked Chicken (Cubed Or Shredded)
- ¼ Teaspoon Dried Thyme
- ¼ Teaspoon Dried Tarragon
- 3 Cups Half & Half
- Kosher Salt And Freshly Ground Black Pepper (To Taste)
- Add the unsalted butter and onions to a medium skillet and sauté on the stove-top over medium-high heat until the onions turn translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add the flour and mix well and continue to cook, while stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
- In a 6 quart or larger slow cooker, add the flour and onion mixture, sliced mushrooms, diced carrots, chicken broth, shredded or diced cooked chicken, thyme and tarragon. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- Stir in the half & half.
- Recover the slow cooker and continue to cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Sample soup and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle hot soup into bowls and enjoy!