Fill up a bowl with this creamy and cheesy recipe for Crock-Pot Gouda Potato Soup. Gouda cheese makes it super delicious and your taste buds will smile! The perfect comfort food soup for a cold day!
Slow Cooker Gouda Potato Soup
Gouda cheese is one of my favorite cheeses because of of it’s mild and nutty flavor and it’s ability to melt well. In this cheesy potato soup I selected a young Dutch Gouda cheese because I just knew it would be perfect in this easy soup.
Potato soup is always a comfort food to me, and this cheesy soup really is super easy to make. The hardest steps to make this cheese is peeling and dicing potatoes, preparing the onion and garlic and shredding the cheese.
I took on the knife and cutting board work and handed the cheese and cheese grater over to one of my kids. Grating cheese is a perfect chore for any kid over the age of about 8 or so. So long as they are old enough to realize the grater is sharp and can be careful not to shred their fingers they can grate some cheese!
The flavors in this cheesy potato soup really are fantastic. The potatoes and Gouda cheese are cooked in chicken broth (you can also use vegetable broth to make this vegetarian) along with cabbage, corn, onions, garlic, salt and pepper.
Then you add the cheese, evaporated milk and frozen peas and let it cook for about 30 minutes on HIGH heat to allow the cheese to melt.
Then you are ready to serve. Ladle the hot soup into bowls, and if desired, sprinkle a little sliced green onion and a a pinch of paprika on top to add a bright pop of color!
Perfect Soup For Lunch, Dinner Or Leftovers!
For dinner or lunch I like to serve this soup with a fresh garden salad and some slices of crusty bread (French bread, Italian bread or sourdough bread are all fantastic) for a great meal!
Best of all, leftovers (if there are any) reheat up well. So you can make this soup ahead of time, portion it out into food-safe containers and stash away in the refrigerator or freezer for lunches at work. Just microwave for a few minutes until hot and you have a hearty soup for lunch!
Equipment Needed For Crock-Pot Gouda Potato Soup Recipe:
- 5 Quart, 5.5 Quart, 6 Quart, 6.5 Quart Or 7 Quart Slow Cooker
- Cutting Board
- Dry Measuring Cups And Spoons
- Liquid Measuring Cup
- Potato Masher Or Wooden Spoon
- Cheese Grater
Frequently Asked Questions
This recipe is pretty versatile and you can easily replace or omit some of the vegetables. For example the corn or peas can be replaced with diced carrots or green beans. The cabbage can be replaced with spinach, kale or other greens. Or you can just omit any of those veggies from the recipe altogether.
While I think Gouda cheese is superb, if you cannot find it at your local grocery store you can use one of the following cheeses as a good Gouda cheese substitute.
– Mild Cheddar
– Monterey Jack
I used good old-fashioned Idaho Russet potatoes but you can use just about any other white or yellow fleshed potato such as red skinned potatoes, white skinned potatoes, Yukon gold, new potatoes, or fingerling potatoes. I would stay away from any purple potatoes though as they may lend a blue/purple tint to your soup. Unless of course you are looking to make blue soup ala Bridget Jones’s Diary. 😀
More Fantastic Crockpot Soups You Must Try!
Crock-Pot Corn Chowder
Savory Slow Cooker Corn Chowder that will you fill you up and is tasty too! You and your family will really enjoy this delicious soup for dinner or lunch!
Crock-Pot Beef and Sweet Potato Soup
This healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipe for Slow Cooker Beef and Sweet Potato Soup features tender chunks of sweet potatoes & beef in a hearty broth.
Crock-Pot Pasta Fagoli Soup (Olive Garden Copycat Recipe)
If you love the pasta fagoli soup at Olive Garden you will ADORE this homemade Slow Cooker Pasta Fagoli Soup recipe. Serve with breadsticks & salad!
Crock-Pot French Onion Soup
This recipe for Slow Cooker French Onion Soup makes a delicious & satisfying meal. Start your soup in the morning & come home to a dinner that tastes amazing!
- 5 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 5.5 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 6 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 6.5 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 7 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- Fall Recipes
- Soups, Stews and Chili Recipes
- Winter Recipes
Crock-Pot Gouda Potato Soup Recipe
- 6 Medium Potatoes (Peeled And Diced)
- 28 Ounces Low-Sodium Chicken Broth (Store Bought Or Homemade Chicken Broth)
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion (Peeled And Diced)
- 2 Cups Thinly Sliced Cabbage
- ½ Cup Corn Kernels (Frozen, Fresh Or Canned)
- 3 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
- ½ Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 3 Cups Shredded Gouda Cheese
- 12 Ounces Canned Evaporated Milk
- 1 ½ Cups Frozen Peas
- ¼ Cup Sliced Green Onion
- ¼ Teaspoon Ground Paprika
- Add potatoes, chicken broth, onion, cabbage, corn, garlic, salt and pepper to a 5 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 5 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- Using a potato masher or the back of a sturdy wooden spoon mash and break up the potatoes.
- Add the Gouda cheese, evaporated milk, and peas. Stir to combine.
- Recover slow cooker and cook on HIGH for about 20 to 30 minutes to allow the cheese to melt.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with sliced green onion and a sprinkle of paprika on top.
This sounds amazing, minus cabbage (acid reflux
Lady Sarah says
You can also do spinach in place of the cabbage, otherwise no harm if you leave it out.