This amazing recipe for Crock-Pot French Onion Soup makes a delicious and satisfying meal. Start your soup in the morning and come home to a dinner that tastes even better than the smell emitting from the slow cooker!
Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
My good friend and neighbor John LOVES French onion soup. It is, by far, his favorite soup of all time. His favorite is the French onion soup that they serve at Applebee’s restaurants and we have to get that for dinner at least once a month (sometimes more).
John was given a recipe by another mutual friend for a Crock-Pot French Onion Soup and asked me to make the recipe for him.
It seemed easy enough. He purchased the ingredients and I started in on chopping the onions.
The recipe itself was pretty simple. Chop the onions. Then you saute the onions in a pan with some butter and brown sugar to start the caramelization process. You want the onions translucent before you add them to the crock-pot.
The you add the cooked onions, broth, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, bay leaf and thyme to the crock-pot. And cook on LOW for 4-5 hours.
This is a forgiving recipe when it comes to the time in the slow cooker. If you are a working mom or dad and need to cook this longer in the slow cooker…go ahead. And if you want to put this in the slow cooker in the morning before you head off to work but don’t want to saute onions first thing in the morning…do it the night before and just pop the caramelized onions in the refrigerator. Then dump everything in the slow cooker before you go to work.
Once the soup is ready to eat, ladle the soup into bowls. Add a slice of French bread (I made my own French bread and two small slices fit on top of the soup) and then top with the shredded Swiss cheese and Parmesan cheese.
Place the bowls of soup on a cookie sheet and set under the broiler for just a minute or two just until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
Serve and enjoy with a nice side salad.
Crock-Pot French Onion Soup Recipe
- 3 large Yellow Onions (peeled and sliced thin)
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Garlic (minced)
- 64.5 ounces Low Sodium Beef Broth (homemade OR 6 cans (10.75 ounces each))
- 1 whole Bay Leaf
- 1 sprig Fresh Thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 6 slices French Bread (sliced)
- 1 cup Swiss Cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese (shredded)
- Peel and slice the onions into thin slices.
- In a medium skillet add the butter, sliced onions and brown sugar and saute the onions until they become translucent and caramelized.
- Add the cooked onions, Worcestershire sauce, beef broth, garlic, bay leaf and thyme to a 4 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Cover and cook for 4 to 5 hours on LOW.
- Add soup to ovenproof bowls and top with a slice or two of French bread.
- Add both Swiss cheese and Parmesan cheese to top of bread.
- Set the ovenproof bowls on a cookie sheet and place under the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve and enjoy!