With just three simple ingredients you can have a delicious and easy baked dessert with this recipe for Crock-Pot Cherry Dump Cake. Make it any time of the year without heating up the whole house! Serve it with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream or whipped cream for a slow-cooker dessert that will impress!
Slow Cooker Cherry Dump Cake
Recently I bought myself a new Casserole Crock-Pot on Amazon because I wanted to add this new size of slow cooker to my collection. And I have to admit that it is slowly becoming on of my favorite crock-pots to use.
The size and shape is so versatile and I have been working on some recipes that will be coming soon to the blog here at Crock-Pot Ladies (be sure to subscribe to our newsletter so you can get an update whenever we have new recipes and stuff to share).
So, the other day I was rooting around in my pantry looking for something to make for dessert. Over in the corner I spotted a box of yellow cake mix. Digging around in the canned goods I first spied some pineapple and immediately thought of making a pineapple upside down cake.
But then…I spotted them…two lonely little cans of cherry pie filling that I had picked up on clearance after Easter. And I immediately thought of doing a Crock-Pot Cherry Dump Cake!
Equipment Needed For Crock-Pot Cherry Dump Cake Recipe:
- 3.5 Quart Casserole Slow Cooker OR 4 Quart, 4.5 Quart Or 5 Quart Slow Cooker
- Can Opener
- Microwave Safe Bowl
Frequently Asked Questions
Dump cakes are really versatile and you can experiment with just about any type of fruit you want.
Our readers have reported great success using gluten-free yellow cake mix in this recipe.
Yes, using sugar free yellow cake mix will work in this recipe. In fact you can use sugar free or low sugar cherry pie filling too to make this is a much lower in sugar dessert.
No, slow cooker dump cakes are more like a cobbler with fruit on the bottom and a topping on the top.
You can use any flavor of boxed cake mix that you think will pair well with the cherry pie filling. Chocolate cake mix, lemon cake mix, white cake mix are all great options?
If you find that there is water condensation that is collecting on the lid of your slow cooker that is dripping onto the top of your dump cake you can place a clean kitchen towel or a couple layers of paper toweling between the lid and slow cooker. The towels will collect the condensation.
Canned cherry pie filling comes in several different sized cans, as such, we used ounces in the recipe. For this recipe we used 42 ounces of cherry pie filling. That can be 2 small cans or 1 large can. The ounces do not need to be exact but you want to get in that 42 ounce range.
More Delicious Dump Cake Recipes
- 3.5 Quart Casserole Crock-Pot Recipes
- 4 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 4.5 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 5 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- Dessert Recipes
- Easter Recipes
- Kid Friendly Crock-Pot Recipes
- Readers’ Favorite Recipes
- Summer Recipes
- Valentine’s Day Recipes
Crock-Pot Cherry Dump Cake Recipe
- Open the two cans of cherry pie filling and dump the contents into a 3 to 5 quart slow cooker.
- In a microwave safe bowl melt the butter (or melt on the stove top).
- In a medium mixing bowl add the dry yellow cake mix and the melted butter and stir to combine (mixture will be crumbly).
- Dump cake mix & butter mixture over the top of the cherry pie filling and spread evenly.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours or on HIGH for 2 hours.
- Serve warm (with ice cream if desired) or cold.