If you have a hunter in the family you are going to love this recipe for Crock-Pot Venison Roast! The venison pot roast & vegetables come out super tender!
Crock-Pot Venison Roast
Here is a recipe for all you hunters or wives of hunters! Submitted by reader Kari M. is this fantastic recipe for Venison pot roast cooked right in your slow cooker!
This is a classic recipe for venison roast with tender yellow potatoes, chunks of carrots and celery and onion and garlic to boot.
A packet of onion soup mix and some fresh thyme add some fantastic flavor to this roast.
I find the fresh thyme to really go well with the venison meat and it sort of helped hide that “gamey” flavor that venison tends to have.
And best of all, this is one of those recipes that you can let cook away pretty much all day on low heat so that you don’t have to babysit it. Just prep your veggies and throw everything in the pot.
When it comes time for dinner you can dish it up right out of the slow cooker or plate it up on a pretty serving platter and get all fancy.
You can also make a fantastic gravy from the liquid in the slow cooker to pour all over your roast and potatoes.
If that is your sort of thing!
- Yellow Potatoes – Unpeeled and each potato cut into quarters or large chunks.
- Carrots – Peeled and each carrot cut into large chunks.
- Celery – Washed and cut into large chunks
- Yellow Onion – Peeled and diced.
- Garlic – Peeled and minced.
- Fresh Thyme – One sprig of thyme will be cooked with the roast and vegetables, while the other is merely for garnish. You can of course omit the one for garnish or add it into the slow cooker and cook it.
- Venison Roast – Either boneless or bone-in. The weight of 3 pounds is approximate as each deer will yield different sizes of roasts.
- Onion Soup Mix – I used 1 packet of onion soup mix. However you can also use a three tablespoons of Homemade Onion Soup Mix in which case, this recipe can be classified as gluten free!
- Place potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, garlic and 1 sprig of thyme in the bottom of a 6 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Gently set the venison roast on top of the vegetables.
- Sprinkle onion soup mixture all over the meat and then gently pour 1 cup of water over everything
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or 3 to 4 hours on HIGH or until the roast is easily chunked apart into serving pieces with a fork.
- To serve, carefully remove roast from slow cooker and place on a serving platter, using a slotted spoon arrange the cooked vegetables from the slow cooker around the meat. Garnish with additional sprig of fresh thyme (optional).
- *See recipe note below on how to make a tasty gravy from the drippings in the slow cooker.
More Tasty Slow Cooker Entrees To Try:
- Crock-Pot Chicken Cordon Bleu + Video
- Slow Cooker Potatoes, Sausage And Green Beans + Video
- Crock-Pot Honey Sesame Chicken
- Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Joes
- Crock-Pot Taco Bake
|Venison Crock-Pot Recipes||Fall Slow Cooker Recipes|
|Winter Slow Cooker Recipes||American Crock-Pot Recipes|
|6 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes||Easy Slow Cooker Recipes|