If you have a hunter in the family you are going to love this recipe for Crock-Pot Venison Roast! The venison pot roast & vegetables come out super tender!
Slow Cooker Venison Roast
Here is a recipe for all you hunters or wives of hunters! Submitted by reader Kari M. is this fantastic recipe for Venison pot roast cooked right in your slow cooker!
This is a classic recipe for venison roast with yellow potatoes, carrots, celery and onion.
A packet of onion soup mix and some fresh thyme add some fantastic flavor to this roast.
Fresh thyme goes well with the venison meat and it helps hide that “gamey” flavor that venison tends to have.
And best of all, this is one of those recipes that you can let cook away pretty much all day on low heat so that you don’t have to babysit it. Just prep your veggies and throw everything in the pot.
When it comes time for dinner you can dish it up right out of the slow cooker or plate it up on a pretty serving platter and get all fancy.
You can also make a gravy from the liquid in the slow cooker to pour all over your roast and potatoes.
If that is your sort of thing!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Each hunter processes their deer meat a little bit differently and the cuts of roast that they end up with may vary. That being said this recipe will work for just about any cut of venison roast. The low and slow cooking process will yield a tender roast when cooked no matter what cut of venison roast you use.
If you have a smaller venison roast than the 3 pound size called for in this recipe you can easily cut this recipe in half. You may want to reduce the cooking time by about 1 hour depending on how your brand of slow cooker cooks. Start with 5 hours on LOW and cook longer if needed.
Yes, feel free to add other root vegetables to this recipe such as parsnips, turnips or rutabaga along with or as a substitution for the potatoes and carrots.
This recipe for Crock-Pot Venison Roast is Weight Watchers Friendly on the new Personal Points plan. You can see the WW personal points for this recipe here on the Weight Watchers website. Click here for MORE of our Weight Watchers Recipes
More Tasty Slow Cooker Entrees To Try:
- Crock-Pot Chicken Cordon Bleu + Video
- Slow Cooker Potatoes, Sausage And Green Beans + Video
- Crock-Pot Honey Sesame Chicken
- Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Joes
- Crock-Pot Taco Bake
Crock-Pot Venison Roast Recipe
- 8 Medium Yellow Potatoes (cut into quarters)
- 2 Medium Carrots (peeled and cut into 1 to 1½ inch pieces)
- 1 Medium Celery Stalk (cut into 1 to 1½ inch pieces)
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion (peeled and diced)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (peeled and minced)
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Thyme (divided)
- 3 Pounds Venison Roast
- 1.5 Ounces Onion Soup Mix (1 Packet)
- 1 Cup Water
- Place potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, garlic and 1 sprig of thyme in the bottom of a 6 quart or larger slow cooker.8 Medium Yellow Potatoes –2 Medium Carrots –1 Medium Celery Stalk –1 Medium Yellow Onion –2 Cloves Garlic –2 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- Gently set the venison roast on top of the vegetables.3 Pounds Venison Roast
- Sprinkle onion soup mixture all over the meat and then gently pour 1 cup of water over everything1.5 Ounces Onion Soup Mix –1 Cup Water
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or until the roast is easily chunked apart into serving pieces with a fork.
- To serve, carefully remove roast from slow cooker and place on a serving platter, using a slotted spoon arrange the cooked vegetables from the slow cooker around the meat. Garnish with additional sprig of fresh thyme (optional).2 Sprigs Fresh Thyme