This HEALTHY and EASY recipe for Crock-Pot Southwestern Chicken is bursting with fresh and exciting southwestern flavor. And it is Weight Watchers friendly too!
Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken
Do you need an EASY and HEALTHY chicken recipe? Then look no further than this “dump and go” recipe for southwestern chicken made in the slow cooker!
The hardest part of this recipe is chopping up some onion, bell pepper and fresh cilantro. The rest of the recipe is pretty much open a can, drain and dump into your slow cooker.
There is all sorts of great flavors in this tasty recipe…corn, black beans, green chilies, red bell pepper, garlic, cumin, fresh cilantro and then lime juice for that POP of fresh flavor!
Equipment Needed For Crock-Pot Southwestern Chicken Recipe:
- 6 Quart, 6.5 Quart Or 7 Quart Slow Cooker
- Cutting Board
- Can Opener
- Measuring Spoons
- Citrus Juicer
- Small Bowl
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can easily substitute, pound for pound, boneless skinless chicken thighs for boneless skinless chicken breasts. Keep in mind that the nutritional values of the recipe will change as chicken thighs are dark meat and contain more calories and fat than chicken breasts do, which are leaner white meat.
Yes, if you are not a fan of fresh cilantro (about 14% of the population don’t like cilantro and have a genetic aversion that makes fresh cilantro taste like soap to them) you can easily omit it from most recipes. If you would like to still have a pop of fresh flavor and bright green color you can substitute fresh parsley instead.
Feel free to use any other type of canned beans that you prefer or have on hand in this recipe. The black beans can be substituted easily for canned pinto beans, great northern white beans, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, etc.
If all you have is frozen chicken and don’t have time to thaw the chicken first then, yes, you can use frozen chicken in this slow cooker recipe. Keep in mind that using frozen chicken may mean that the recipe may take a little longer to cook so that the chicken is fully cooked inside. We recommend allotting about 30 to 45 minutes extra cooking time when using frozen chicken in the slow cooker.
More Weight Watchers Recipes To Love!
This recipe for Crock-Pot Southwestern Chicken is Weight Watchers Friendly on the new Personal Points plan. You can see the WW personal points for this recipe here on the Weight Watchers website. Click here for MORE of our Weight Watchers Recipes
Crock-Pot Southwestern Chicken Recipe
- 2 Teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Cumin
- 2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 3 Pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 15 Ounces Canned Black Beans (Drained And Rinsed)
- 15.25 Ounces Canned Whole Kernel Corn (Drained)
- 9 Ounces Canned Diced Green Chiles
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion (Peeled And Diced)
- 1 Medium Red Bell Pepper (Seeded And Diced)
- ¼ Cup Chopped Fresh Cilantro
- 1 Medium Lime (Juiced)
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, cumin and garlic powder.
- Place the chicken in a single layer in the bottom of a 6 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Sprinkle chicken with about half of the seasoning mixture.
- Dump the rest of the ingredients on top of the chicken and top with the remaining seasoning mix.
- Stir until combined.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or on LOW for 3 1/2 to 4 hours or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Serve and enjoy!