Bursting with chocolate & all the flavors of the popular campfire dessert this recipe for Crock-Pot S’mores Lava Cake is chocolaty, warm and gooey!
Slow Cooker S’mores Lava Cake
My kids were having friends over for a sleepover. We are not big cupcake or cake eaters in this house but I thought my kids and their friends would like a little something sweet for dessert.
This recipe is so simple to whip up. You just make the cake mix and pudding according to the directions on the box. Layer the ingredients in the slow cooker…cake batter, mini marshmallows, pudding, chocolate chips and graham cracker crumbs.
Then cook it all on LOW for 2 to 3 hours.
The middle will still be gooey…thus a lava cake.
I put this recipe together as my kids friends were arriving for the sleepover. They played for a while and then ate some dinner. By the time dinner was over they were ready for a sweet nighttime snack!
I scooped spoons of the S’mores Lava Cake in bowls and then topped it with a few extra mini marshmallows and graham cracker crumbs. The kids tore into their bowls! A huge hit!!
Definitely a recipe I will make again.
Equipment Needed For Crock-Pot S’mores Lava Cake Recipe:
- 5 Quart, 5.5 Quart Or 6 Quart Slow Cooker
- Mixing Bowls
- Liquid Measuring Cup
- Dry Measuring Cups And Spoons
- Silicone Spatula
Frequently Asked Questions
Not really. I have tested this recipe using Duncan Heinz brand, Betty Crocker brand, Pillsbury brand as well as a generic store-brand cake mix and it all comes out great.
This recipe, as written is a riff on a classic S’more with the perfect combination of chocolate, marshmallows and graham crackers. But if you want to switch things up a bit try using other types of baking chips (peanut butter, white chocolate, dark chocolate, mint, etc.) or chopped up candy bars (toffee, peanut butter cups, Snickers, etc.) in replacement for the semi-sweet chocolate chips. You can also use any type of crushed store-bought cookie instead of the graham cracker crumbs (Oreo, vanilla wafer, Thin Mints, chocolate chip cookies, peanut butter cookies, etc.). The sky is the limit!
Nope, this is a lava cake, as such you should have some cake batter that is still sort of gooey in the middle. This is the part that makes it a lava cake. If you want a fully cooked cake you can cook it longer. Just be mindful that the edges may cook before the center does.
More Fantastic Crockpot Desserts!
- 5 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 5.5 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 6 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- Dessert Recipes
- Kid Friendly Crock-Pot Recipes
- Summer Recipes
Crock-Pot S'mores Lava Cake Recipe
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the box of cake mix, water, vegetable oil and eggs until all of the dry cake mix is moistened and combined.
- Pour cake batter into a greased 5 to 6 quart slow cooker and spread evenly.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the chocolate pudding mix and milk until well combined.
- Sprinkle the miniature marshmallows evenly on top of the cake batter.
- Spread the prepared pudding evenly on top of the marshmallows.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly on top of the pudding layer.
- Last, sprinkle the crushed graham crackers evenly on top of the chocolate chips.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on LOW for 2 to 3 hours or until the edges are cooked and cake like, but the center is bubbly and moist.
- Spoon lava cake into bowls and garnish with additional mini marshmallows and graham cracker crumbs if desired.