Happy Cinco de Mayo! Enjoy this Mexican inspired recipe for Crock-Pot Mexican Lasagna that you can whip up for your family tonight! Steak, beans and cheese make this filling and delicious.
Slow Cooker Mexican Lasagna
Since Cinco de Mayo is coming up this week, I wanted to make something with a little south of the border influence. We always have a lot of canned beans and tomatoes in our house and I’ve got a good amount of tortillas so I thought of trying a sort of slow cooker lasagna with tortilla shells instead of noodles. I also didn’t have any ground beef in the house so I cut up some lean sirloin instead and used that to come up with this very hearty and somewhat spicy dinner. My girls don’t eat spicy so they wouldn’t try it but my guys liked it a lot and we all had seconds.
Crock-Pot Mexican Lasagna Recipe
- 1 ½ pounds Beef Sirloin Steak (thinly sliced into 1 inch strips)
- 1 small Onion (chopped)
- 6 Flour Tortillas
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 16 ounces Ricotta Cheese
- 8 ounces Canned Corn (drained, or you may use frozen)
- 4 ounces Canned Chopped Jalapeño Peppers (drained)
- 6 ounces Canned Sliced Black Olives (drained)
- 14.5 ounces Canned Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles (drained, such as RoTel brand)
- 19 ounces Canned Black Beans (drained and rinsed)
- 16 ounces Salsa
- Spray a 5 quart or larger slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet pan set over medium-high heat on the stove-top cook the sirloin steak and onion together until the meat is brown and the onion is translucent. Drain off excess fat from the meat and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl mix together the ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes, olives and jalapeños until combined and set aside.
- Place one or more flour tortillas in the bottom of the slow cooker to cover the entire bottom of the slow cooker. Rip or cut tortillas to fit the bottom if necessary.
- On top of the tortillas add layer of the ricotta cheese mixture.
- Followed by a layer of beans, a layer of corn, a layer of meat, and then some shredded cheese.
- Add another layer of tortillas, again covering entire surface and repeat the layers until you have used up all the ingredients making the last layer tortillas.
- Be careful to only fill your slow cooker no more than 3/4 of the way full!
- Add some salsa or picante sauce just to lightly coat the very top and sprinkle with a little more cheddar cheese if desired.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours.
- Cut carefully into serving sizes and top each serving with a little extra salsa if desired.
Linked up at Look What I Made
Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl says
This looks fabulous! I’ve never thought to use tortillas in the crock pot, but I will definitely try this out soon. We love Mexican!!
Lady Tara says
Thanks for stopping by! I never had used them in the crock either but it was pretty amazing!! Let us know if you try this out.
This is very good. TY for posting this recipe. Will definitely be making this again!!!
Oh my goodness, this Mexican Lasagna looks so good, and just in time for Cinco de Mayo. I shared and pinned it. Thank you for sharing.
Lady Heidi says
Thanks Amy, we hope you enjoy this recipe!