Pick up the Caldo Soup Mix from your local grocer & make a delicious Crock-Pot Mexican Beef & Veggie Soup with your fresh vegetables.
Slow Cooker Mexican Beef & Veggie Soup
So walking through the produce department of the grocery store I came upon this…
I was intrigues because I had never seen it before. I didn’t know what the Caldo Soup Mix was. But, knowing how good soup is when made in the slow cooker I figured I could figure it out when I got home.
After unpacking my groceries I popped on the computer and started Googling to learn exactly what Caldo Soup was and what I learned is this:
“Caldo” simply means “both” in Spanish and when it is made with beef the soup is called “Caldo de Res” or beef broth.
However Caldo de Res is more than plain beef broth. Nope, instead it is a yummy soup that is filled with carrots, cabbage, squash and potatoes.
This is “peasant” food at it’s finest. And my peasant food I simply mean the food of the people. Food that is typically a tasty, hearty way to take inexpensive ingredients and turn them into something wonderful.
My kind of food!
If you can find a package of Caldo Soup Mix in your grocery stores butcher department go ahead and pick one up. If your store does not carry this item, have no fear this recipe lists out the ingredients you need to make a delicious and hearty soup!
More Slow Cooker Mexican Recipes To Try!
- Crock-Pot Taco Spaghetti
- Slow Cooker Tamale Bake + Video
- Crock-Pot Taco Soup
- Slow Cooker Velveeta Queso Dip
- Crock-Pot Southwest Tamale Pie
Crock-Pot Mexican Beef & Veggie Soup Recipe
- 3 Pounds Boneless Beef Ribs (Or Boneless Chicken Or Pork)
- 5 Cups Low Sodium Beef Broth (Or Chicken Broth)
- 1 Small Head Cabbage (Sliced)
- 1 Large Carrot (Peeled And Sliced)
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion (Peeled And Diced)
- 2 Cups Frozen Corn Kernels (Or 1 Can Corn, Drained)
- 1 Medium Zucchini (Peeled And Diced)
- 3 Medium Potatoes (Peeled And Diced)
- ¼ Teaspoon Kosher Salt (Or To Taste)
- ¼ Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper (Or To Taste)
- ½ Cup Chopped Fresh Cilantro (Optional)
- 1 Medium Lime (Cut Into Wedges – Optional)
- Place meat in a 6 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Add broth, cabbage, carrots, onions, and corn to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours or 7 hours on LOW or until the meat is very tender.
- Remove lid from slow cooker and add the zucchini and potatoes to the slow cooker.
- Recover and continue cooking for an additional 2 – 3 hours or until the potatoes are tender.
- Taste soup and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Ladle hot soup into bowls and garnish with fresh cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime if desired.