The sour cream in the batter is the key ingredient to this moist and tender recipe for Crock-Pot Crumb Coffeecake. Bake this delicious coffee cake for breakfast, dessert or just to snack on!
Slow Cooker Crumb Coffeecake
There is nothing like a generous slice of coffeecake with a cup of coffee (of course) for breakfast in the morning. It honestly is one of my favorite breakfast treats.
I don’t have it often because let’s face it, cake is not the most healthiest breakfast option but when I am feeling like a little sweet treat or I am expecting company over for breakfast or brunch a coffeecake is fun to make.
I decided to set out on a mission to make a delicious and easy coffeecake in my slow cooker. After several tries this recipe was the winner.
The cake is enriched with sour cream which makes it nice and moist and the crumb topping is just perfect with it’s lovely hint of cinnamon.
You can either make this recipe straight in the stoneware insert of a 3.5 quart casserole slow cooker OR a 6 quart slow cooker (or larger).
The cake cooks in the slow cooker for 1 1/2 to 2 hours so you can get up early and have this ready for breakfast. But I personally like to make it the night before. Right after dinner I will whip this up and let it cook. That way I can wrap it up in plastic wrap and let it sit out overnight.
I find it actually tastes better the next day.
A big cup of your favorite coffee and you have a wonderful sweet breakfast treat.
Or serve it for dessert or just as a snack!
Crock-Pot Crumb Coffeecake Recipe
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon until mixed.
- Add the melted butter and vanilla extract. and mix with a fork until the mixture is very crumbly. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the sugar and butter and cream together with a hand mixer.
- Add eggs one at a time mixing after each one.
- Add in the vanilla and sour cream, mix well.
- Add in the dry ingredients all at once and mix until combined.
- Butter or spray with non-stick cooking spray the bottom and sides of a 3.5 quart casserole slow cooker OR a 6 quart or larger oval or round slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the crumb mixture evenly over the top the batter.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Turn the slow cooker OFF and allow the coffee cake to cool in the slow cooker for 10 minutes with the lid removed before serving.
- Serve and enjoy!