Warm up to a bowl of this easy Crock-Pot Cheddar Beer soup today! Extra sharp cheddar cheese makes a creamy soup and beer adds earthy flavor you will love!
Slow Cooker Cheddar Beer Soup
There is just something special about the flavor combination of cheese and beer. There is an earthiness about it that really tickles my taste buds! Simple but flavorful vegetables are simmered slow and low in the slow cooker for several hours in chicken or vegetable broth and your favorite beer. Then cheese is added near the end of the cooking time and a little cornstarch added to thicken the soup up just a little bit and left to simmer a little longer. Ladle the hot soup into soup bowls and serve with plenty of bread (I used pretzel rolls I found at our local bakery) for dipping into the soup.
It was, hands down one of the most delicious soups I have had in a long time and one that my family enjoyed as well.
I hope your family enjoys it too!
Gluten Free | Low Carb | Low Sugar | Vegetarian
Crock-Pot Cheddar Beer Soup Recipe
- 2 Cups Carrots (peeled & diced small, about 4 large carrots)
- 1 Cup Celery (diced small)
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion (peeled & diced small)
- 12 Ounces Beer (use a gluten free brand if on a gluten free diet)
- 8 Cups Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 Cloves Garlic (minced)
- ½ Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Whole Bay Leaves
- 4 Cups Shredded Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Cup Fat Free Half and Half
- ¼ Cup Cornstarch (use a gluten free brand if on a gluten free diet)
- Place onion, carrots, celery, beer, chicken broth, garlic, salt, pepper and bay leaves in a 5 – 6 quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- Remove bay leaves from soup and discard.
- Turn crock-pot onto the HIGH temperature setting and stir in the extra sharp cheddar cheese.
- Cover and cook an additional 15 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- In a small bowl whisk together the fat free half & half and cornstarch until there are no lumps. Pour mixture into soup in the slow-cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook for 15 more minutes until the soup has thickened.
- Ladle hot soup into bowls and serve with bread or rolls for dipping and enjoy!
I have a smaller crock pot and would need to cut this recipe in half how long should I cook the veggies, broth and beer?
Lady Heidi says
You should be OK with cooking for 3 – 4 hours with a half recipe.