This recipe for Crock-Pot Cashew Chicken is perfect for when you are in the mood for Chinese take-out. It is so easy to make and you can even prep everything ahead of time and toss it in a freezer bag for a simple slow cooker freezer meal too!
Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken
I have to admit that on a busy day sometimes we skip cooking dinner at home and instead order take out or delivery. But ordering food or going out to eat is not very budget friendly so I am always looking for recipes, such as this one for Crock-Pot Cashew Chicken, that I can prep ahead of time, toss in a freezer bag and cook in my slow cooker when I know we are going to have one of those crazy busy days.
My family really enjoyed this recipe and said that this is one that I will have to make again. I have already put together a couple freezer bags of this recipe in my freezer so I can make this any day.
While I am not a big “lets do 10 freezer meals all at one time” like my fellow Crock-Pot Lady Sarah is I am totally cool with prepping one recipe for 3 or 4 different meals, tossing it all in freezer bags and throwing it in my deep freezer. I like to have oh a good 5 or 6 different options of freezer meals in my freezer at any given time. Some are crock-pot recipes, some are “dump” recipes and some are casseroles. These types of meals allow me to always have something for dinner on hand. And while my husband is a wonderful cook I like knowing there are meals ready to go for the off hand occasions when I am traveling or other wise away from home.
This recipe for Crock-Pot Cashew Chicken is Weight Watchers Friendly on the new Personal Points plan. You can see the WW personal points for this recipe here on the Weight Watchers website. Click here for MORE of our Weight Watchers Recipes
Crock-Pot Cashew Chicken Recipe
For The Sauce
For The Sauce
- In a medium mixing bowl mix together the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes (if using) and cornstarch and mix with a fork until well combined and cornstarch is dissolved in the liquid.
For The Chicken
- In a large nonstick or cast iron skillet heat the oil over medium-high heat until it is hot but not smoking.
- Add the cut up chicken pieces to the pan and quickly season with salt and pepper and cook while stirring until the chicken is lightly browned on all sides but not fully cooked inside.
- Add the cooked chicken to a 6 quart slow cooker.
- Pour prepared sauce mixture over chicken in slow cooker and stir to coat.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours or until the chicken is fully cooked and the sauce has thickened.
- Add the cashews and sliced green onion (reserving a little bit of each to use as a garnish if desired) and toss to combine.
- Serve over hot rice or noodles garnishing with the reserved cashews and green onion if you want to.