Mix up an easy sauce of applesauce, BBQ sauce, brown sugar and spices and pour it over chicken breasts in this quick and easy recipe for Crock-Pot Applesauce Chicken. Bonus points it can easily be made into a slow cooker freezer meal!
Slow Cooker Applesauce Chicken
This recipe for Crock-Pot Beef Barley Stew is included in our 10 Easy Crock-Pot Freezer Meals Meal Plan that you can purchase in our store for just $2.99. The meal plan includes 10 great freezer meals that you can prepare ahead of time and have ready to go in your freezer. You will also get a printable grocery shopping list for all the ingredients needed to make all 10 meals as well as printable labels that you can stick on your freezer bags.
We love slow cooker freezer meals because they make meal planning so easy on those busy days we all have. But you do not have to make this recipe as a freezer meal if you don’t want to. Just mix up the applesauce sauce (is that redundant?) and pour it over your chicken in the crock!
The applesauce sauce adds a nice mildness to the BBQ sauce (use whatever brand you like…we are big fans of Sweet Baby Ray’s brand). The kids really enjoyed this one. The apple sauce also makes the sauce thicker and it really coats the chicken breasts making for a nice moist chicken.
We ate our chicken over some egg noodles (cooked on the stove-top) and I warmed up a bag of frozen summer vegetables as a nice healthy side dish.
This recipe for Crock-Pot Applesauce Chicken is Weight Watchers Friendly on the new Personal Points plan. You can see the WW personal points for this recipe here on the Weight Watchers website. Click here for MORE of our Weight Watchers Recipes
Crock-Pot Applesauce Chicken Recipe
- Spray a 6-quart slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray or line with a slow cooker liner. (Optional)
- Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of the crock.
- In a small bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients (applesauce, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, black pepper and chili powder) and pour sauce over the top of the chicken.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours or until chicken registers 165° F on a meat thermometer.
Crock-Pot Applesauce Chicken Freezer Meal Instructions:
- Place all ingredients except the chicken in a gallon sized zippered freezer bag.
- Zip bag closed and mush the bag with your hands to mix the sauce up.
- Open bag and add chicken breasts to the sauce mixture.
- Lay the bag flat on the counter-top and squeeze out as much excess air as possible before sealing the bag.
- Label bag with recipe name, ingredients and cooking instructions.
- Thaw bag overnight in the refrigerator the day before cooking.
- Dump ingredients from bag into slow cooker and cook according to directions in recipe.