This easy to make recipe for Crock-Pot Creamy Southwest Beef Burritos. Tender beef simmered in a creamy southwest seasoned sauce served in tortillas!
Slow Cooker Creamy Southwest Beef Burritos
Crock-Pot Creamy Southwest Beef Burritos is a smooth, creamy tasty meal that my family really enjoyed. You can make it one of two ways. I made it cooking the beef and onions in the slow cooker first and then mixing up the burritos to cook in the crock.
You do this by placing the raw stewed beef or hamburger in the crock with the chopped onions. Every hour or so you stir the beef up a bit to mix it around so that it will be thoroughly cooked. You then tilt the crock at one end and if you have beef stew meat you can use a few paper towels to soak up the excess liquid. If you have hamburger you will need to use a ladle and scoop it out. I do this because it’s just very easy to dump and not have to stand over the stove.
The other way is to precook the beef and onions on the stove top and then assembling the burritos and placing them in the crock to cook. I used beef stew meat, but you can also use chopped steak or even just hamburger. With hamburger you’ll want to drain the fat off before mixing the rest of that mixture.
You can make this as mild or hot as desired per taco seasoning and salsa. For our family, we are cutting back on salt as we can, so we used a low sodium taco seasoning.
You will want to use at least a 6 quart crock or larger if you have one. Any smaller and you will have more than the two layers.
Crock-Pot Creamy Southwest Beef Burritos Recipe
- 1 Pound Beef Stew Meat (Cut Up Steak Or Ground Beef Will Work Too)
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion (Finely Chopped)
- 14 Ounces Canned Refried Beans (Or Homemade Refried Beans)
- 1 Envelope Low Sodium Taco Seasoning Mix (Or Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix)
- 3 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese (Divided)
- 8 Ounces Sour Cream
- ½ Cup Jarred Salsa
- 10.75 Ounces Canned Cream Of Mushroom Soup (Or Cream Of Celery Soup)
- 12 Small Flour Tortillas
- Place beef and diced onion in the bottom of a 6 quart or larger oval slow cooker OR a 3.5 quart casserole slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours, stirring the meat mixture quickly after 2 hours of cooking time. Once done cooking use a slott
- Drain off excess cooking liquid from meat mixture and add to a mixing bowl. To the mixing bowl add the refried beans, 1 cup of the shredded cheese and taco seasoning and stir well to combine.
- In a separate bowl combine together the cream of mushroom soup, sour cream and salsa until well combined, set aside.
- Wash and dry the stoneware insert to your slow cooker and place it back into the heating element base (make sure it is dry!).
- Spoon one-third of the soup and salsa mixture into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Divide the beef and bean mixture evenly between the 12 small flour tortillas and roll each tortilla cup into a burrito.
- Place 6 rolled burritos, seam side down on top of the soup mixture in the slow cooker. Spoon another one-third of the soup mixture on top of the burritos and sprinkle the top with 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Add a second layer of burritos on top of the first, seam side down and spoon the final one-third of the soup mixture on top and sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on LOW for 2 to 3 hours.