This week for some reason my 10 year old son Parker was being pretty darn picky in what he was going to eat. Normally my kids are not picky eaters and we don’t really force the issue. My husband and I cook dinner and they can love it or leave it (but they have to at least try it).
But it seems like everything we put on the dinner table this week was not something Parker wanted to eat. So I asked him what he wanted to eat in the hopes that I could find something to make him happy and get the kid to eat dinner and he asked for chicken legs.
He had no requests on how he wanted the chicken legs cooked so I got busy working on a new recipe and this is what I came up with.
This recipe for slow cooker lemon chicken is a pretty easy recipe however there is a bit of an extra step involved and that is browning the chicken before adding it to the crock-pot. It only takes about 15 minutes but it gives the dish some really great flavor. You can use any chicken parts you like in this recipe, however chicken breasts can tend to dry out a bit in the slow cooker if you over cook them. But because this recipe is cooked for a shorter time period you have less chance of that.
Like I said, we used legs and they came out super moist. The kids, who don’t seem to mind getting messy ate their with their hands but us civilized adults ate our chicken with a fork.
We served this with some rice pilaf and sauteed green beans.
And let me just say…the sauce from the chicken is amazing when spooned into the rice pilaf!
I hope you enjoy!
This delicious recipe is quite the dish. Bright with the flavors of lemon, yet the meat is tender and juicy.
1/2 Cup All-Purpose Flour
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
5-6 Tablespoons Oil, Divided
5 to 6 Lbs. Chicken Pieces (I used legs)
1 (12 Oz.) Can Frozen Lemonade Concentrate, Thawed
3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Ketchup
1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Cold Water
2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, salt & pepper. Lightly dredge each piece of chicken in the flour mixture and set aside.
- Pour 3 tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan set over medium-high heat.
- Brown half of your chicken pieces in hot oil, being careful not to over crowd the pan.
- Continue until all the pieces are nicely browned on all sides, adding more oil as needed.
- Place chicken in Crock-Pot.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the thawed lemonade concentrate, brown sugar, ketchup and vinegar and pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and place on a plate. Cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- In a small bowl combine the 2 cold water and cornstarch and mix well.
- Stir cornstarch mixture into the cooking liquids in the Crock-Pot until well mixed.
- Cover and cook the liquid until the sauce is bubbly and has thickened.
- Spoon sauce over chicken to serve.
While most slow cooker recipes can be cooked on either LOW or HIGH heat with an adjustment of cooking time. That is not recommended for this recipe. Longer cooking times with chicken often dry out the meat. A shorter cooking time at a higher heat with a recipe that has some sauce is it is a reliable way to prepare chicken in the slowcooker.
If you enjoyed this post please share it!