Apples and cranberries just scream Autumn to me and I love the combination. This coffee cake is simple to prepare and is a nice dish to serve for breakfast or brunch. Because this coffee cake cooks in the Crock-Pot for 2+ hours you are going to either want to start it early in the morning or make it up the night before. I either put it together and cook it after dinner, and then put it in the fridge and warm it up in the morning or I start it in the morning and we have a brunch and serve a larger meal along side. This is also nice to take to potlucks or give as a little treat to a new mommy or someone sick and needing something home cooked. I also think this would make a lovely Christmas brunch dish!
Crock-Pot Apple Cranberry Coffee Cake
Apple Cranberry Topping
1 (21 Oz.) Can Of Apple Pie Filling
1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar, Packed
1 Cup Sweetened Dried Cranberries (Craisins)
1 (18.25 Oz.) Box Of Spice Cake Mix*
1/2 Cup Sour Cream
3 Tablespoons Melted Butter
1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
1/4 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
1 Tablespoon Milk or Cream
- In a medium bowl, mix the apple pie filling, cinnamon, brown sugar and cranberries until well combined; set aside.
- In another bowl combine the spice cake mix, eggs, sour cream and melted butter and mix with a sturdy wooden spoon or spatula until everything is moistened and there are no major lumps in the batter.
- Spray a 6 quart crock-pot with non-stick cooking spray (I used Pam for Baking which includes flour).
- Spoon apple & cranberry topping into bottom of crock-pot and spread evenly to distribute.
- Spoon coffee cake batter over topping and spread to cover all the topping.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 hours. Check to see if it is done by inserting a toothpick in center of cake. When the toothpick comes out clean it is done.**
- Once cooked, remove lid and immediately run a butter knife along side of crock to help release the cake.
- Let cake cool in crock for 30 minutes and then run the knife around the edge again. Invert cake on a serving platter.
- In a small bowl mix powdered sugar, vanilla extract and milk or cream for icing until smooth.
- Drizzle icing over cake and serve with…COFFEE (or any other beverage of your choice…hot tea is nice too)
*If you do not have a spice cake mix handy, use a yellow cake mix and add a teaspoon of cinnamon.
** Crock-Pot temperatures can vary, mine took 2 1/2 hours to cook.
Linked up at the Melt In Your Mouth Monday Blog Hop!
If you enjoyed this post please share it!