Make this delicious Crock-Pot Apple Cranberry Coffee Cake for breakfast or brunch any time of the year. But it is perfect Christmas morning!
Slow Cooker Apple Cranberry Coffee Cake
Apples and cranberries just scream Autumn to me and I love the combination. This coffee cake is simple to prepare and is a nice dish to serve for breakfast or brunch.
Because this coffee cake cooks in the Crock-Pot for 2+ hours you are going to either want to start it early in the morning or make it up the night before. I either put it together and cook it after dinner, and then put it in the fridge and warm it up in the morning or I start it in the morning and we have a brunch and serve a larger meal along side.
This is also nice to take to potlucks or give as a little treat to a new mommy or someone sick and needing something home cooked. I also think this would make a lovely Christmas brunch dish!
Crock-Pot Apple Cranberry Coffee Cake Recipe
Apple Cranberry Topping
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix the apple pie filling, cinnamon, brown sugar and cranberries until well combined. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the spice cake mix, eggs, sour cream and melted butter and mix with a sturdy wooden spoon or spatula until everything is moistened and there are no lumps in the batter.
- Spray a 6 quart or larger oval slow cooker OR a 3.5 quart casserole slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray or grease with a little softened butter.
- Spoon apple & cranberry topping into bottom of slow cooker and spread evenly to distribute.
- Spoon coffee cake batter over topping and spread to cover all the topping.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 – 3 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove lid from slow cooker and turn off. Run a butter knife along the edges of the slow cooker to help release the cake.
- Let cake cool in slow cooker for 30 minutes and then run the knife around the edge again. Invert cake on a serving platter.
- In a small bowl mix together the powdered sugar, vanilla extract and milk or cream for icing until smooth.
- Drizzle icing over cake and serve with coffee or tea.