With just 2 Weight Watchers SmartPoints per serving this delicious recipe for Crock-Pot Turkey Sloppy Joes is super tasty and healthy too!
Crock-Pot Turkey Sloppy Joes
This recipe for Crock-Pot Turkey Sloppy Joes, is included in our new 10 Crock-Pot Easy Freezer Meals. If you are coming to this page first and are interested in doing freezer meals, start here. This recipe does NOT have to be frozen first, if you are wanting to do this recipe by itself, then stay on this page and we will go from here.
So this recipe came inspired by the fact that I had a store local, that had ground turkey at a great price and so instead of doing a ton of hamburger recipes, I decided to branch out and do some ground turkey (or chicken) recipes as well. I ended up doing this one twice, because I lost the pictures the first time, so I had to redo it (bummer!) to grab some pictures. The trick with this, is because ground turkey and ground chicken can get dry, I would purchase only fresh, not frozen, if you are going to do the 10 freezer meals thus you’re not freezing the meat multiple times. You will need to cook the ground turkey before hand in the freezer method.
However if you are just going to do this meal on it’s own, you can purchase fresh or frozen, and you can cook the ground turkey either on the stove top, or in the crock. When you cook it for this recipe in the crock-pot it is in additional to the regular cooking and will not have the other ingredients in it first. Cook, stir, get it very crumbly and drain and then add the rest of the ingredients and basically warm up. I do 2 pounds, but you can frankly do a much larger batch if you want to freeze some for later. Sloppy Joe meat is one of my favorite to cook ahead of time and freeze for a rainy day or when I just don’t have time to cook.
- Extra Lean Ground Turkey – To make this a Weight Watchers friendly recipe I used 99% fat free ground turkey which is zero points.
- Onion – Finely diced. Prefer yellow onions for cooking but a white onion will do fine in this recipe too.
- Celery – You will need 1 cup of finely diced celery.
- Canned Diced Green Chiles – A small can of diced green chilies will add some great flavor. You can also just dice up a fresh bell pepper.
- Ketchup – I am pretty brand loyal to Heinz ketchup (not sponsored) and if I can find it I like their Simply ketchup.
- Canned Condensed Tomato Soup – I prefer using the Campbell’s Healthy Request brand of tomato soup. You will not dilute the can of soup, just use it straight from the can.
- Prepared Mustard – Yellow mustard will add some great zip to the meat.
- Brown Sugar – You can use light brown sugar or dark brown sugar. Whatever you have on hand.
- Black Pepper – I prefer to grind my own pepper right before adding to a dish for the best flavor and freshness.
- n a large skillet on the stove top, cook and crumble the ground turkey until no longer pink inside and most of the moisture from the meat has evaporated.
- Add the cooked turkey to a 4 quart or larger slow cooker along with the remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours.
- Serve sloppy joe meat on your favorite hamburger buns or rolls.
- 4 Quart Slow Cooker (or larger)
- Large Frying Pan
- Wooden Spoon
- Cutting Board
- Can Opener
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
Check out these great ground turkey recipes too!
- Slow Cooker Turkey Bolognese Sauce
- Crock-Pot Tamale Bake + Video
- Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Joes
- Crock-Pot Taco Junk
- Slow Cooker Turkey Spinach Meatloaf with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
|Turkey Crock-Pot Recipes||Entree Slow Cooker Recipes|
|Freezer Meal Slow Cooker Recipes||American Crock-Pot Recipes|
|4 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes||Kid Friendly Slow Cooker Recipes|