Tater tots, sausage, cheese & eggs combine in this recipe for Crock-Pot Tater Tot Breakfast Bake. Prepare everything the night before for a yummy breakfast!
Slow Cooker Tater Tot Breakfast Bake
We are a family that owns a few chickens, so meals centered around eggs happens quite often, with our newest being Crock-Pot Tater Tot Breakfast Bake.
You can get this recipe cooking the night before so it’s ready for breakfast, or this will also work for an evening meal (our families eats “breakfast for dinner” at least once a week).
We find eggs from our chickens to be very economical to use for big meals and they are a great affordable protein source when we need to buy some too.
I used a pork sausage that I had previously cooked and frozen (I do big crockpots of ground hamburger and sausage each month and then freeze) but if you don’t eat pork you can also use turkey sausage.
If your family is not fond of tomatoes you could use spinach, broccoli, zucchini or yellow squash or even peppers. I actually didn’t have any regular tomatoes on hand, so I used some cherry tomatoes that I had.
My goal is to try and not waste food so sometimes we have to think a bit outside of the box.
Crock-Pot Tater Tot Breakfast Bake Recipe
- 32 ounces Frozen Tater Tots
- 1 ½ pounds Ground Sausage (cooked and crumbled)
- ½ whole Yellow Onion (chopped)
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese (shredded)
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup Tomatoes (chopped (I used cherry tomatoes as that is what I had on hand))
- 6 whole Green Onions (chopped)
- 12 large Eggs
- ½ cup Milk
- 1 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- Kosher Salt (to taste)
- In a medium skillet on the stove top cook the sausage and onion together. Crumbling the sausage and cooking until it is no longer pink and the onions are translucent. Drain off excess fat from sausage.
- Pour approximately half of the tater tots into the bottom of the crock and half of the cooked sausage and yellow onions.
- The next layer is half of the mozzarella cheese and half of the parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle tomatoes and green onions on top of the cheese (if you want to sneak in more veggies this is where you would put them).
- Now you will repeat the layers. Tater tots and sausage with yellow onions.
- The rest of both kinds of cheese is the next layer.
- Then add the chopped tomatoes and green onions.
- Now in a mixing bowl beat the eggs and milk with a whisk. Once it is smooth add the spices and stir a few times.
- Pour over the top of the tater tot mixture, getting as much covered as possible. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- If the eggs cook quicker you can eat it then. I scooped out a bit of the egg to judge if it was ready, as it was hard to just eyeball it.