Homemade mac & cheese is healthier than the store bought variety. With this recipe for Crock-Pot Macaroni and Cheese you know exactly what is in it!
Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese
I don’t know a kid who doesn’t like macaroni and cheese and MY kids are no exception to that rule. While in a pinch, a box of store bought mac and cheese will do. But in my humble opinion homemade is always better than anything you are going to find in a pouch of powder.
We have tried several homemade macaroni & cheese recipes over the years. Cooked on the stove top, baked in the oven and now this yummy version made in the slow cooker. And I have to say…this recipe, the kids absolutely adore!
This recipe makes about 4 servings which I think is perfect if I am making it just for the kids or I am going to serve it as a side dish to go along with a main entree and vegetables. But if you need to make a bigger batch this recipe doubles easily and because the pasta noodles are cooked on the stove-top you do not really need to adjust the cooking time and your elbow macaroni won’t get mushy.
We now make this macaroni & cheese recipe in the slow cooker on a fairly regular basis and love it.
Hope you do too!
Frequently Asked Questions
Pasta can be a tricky item to cook in the slow cooker and in most recipes we recommend cooking the pasta on the stove-top in boiling water according to the directions on the package. Cook the pasta just until done or slightly under-cooked and then add the pasta to the slow cooker at the end.
This ensures pasta that is perfectly cooked and not mushy.
Crock-Pot Macaroni & Cheese Recipe
- In a pot on the stove top follow the directions on the package of macaroni noodles and cook until the noodles are slightly under cooked. Drain.
- Add the cheddar cheese, milk, cheddar cheese soup, sour cream, butter, garlic, ground mustard, salt and pepper to the slow cooker and mix everything together well.
- Add the drained pasta to the slow cooker and stir to coat all the pasta in the cheese sauce.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 2 to 2.5 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Top with additional shredded cheese before serving if desired and enjoy!