Your family will flip for this easy recipe for Crock-Pot Chicken Potato Bake. Ranch dressing makes your chicken, potatoes, onions & bacon taste divine!
Slow Cooker Chicken Potato Bake
This recipe for Crock-Pot Chicken Potato Bake was a recipe that I had cooked before in the oven and was always a hit with my family. I decided to go ahead and see if I could adapt it for the slow cooker and it came out delicious.
Anytime that I don’t have to waste energy and heat up my house with the oven is a good thing in my book!
As with most of my recipes this recipe is quite flexible. I am kind of known for creating or adapting recipes to use up ingredients that I already have on hand. Since I live in rural Kansas running to the grocery store to pick up special ingredients just is not convenient. So I use what I have and encourage you to do the same!
In this recipe I used russet potatoes as that is what I had on hand…but red new potatoes will work as well. I have found that russet potatoes have a tendency to get a red or grey tinge to them if the flesh touches metal…while this is not harmful in any way it is kind of weird. So I use a ceramic knife to cut them up to avoid this issue.
I used yellow onions, but use what kind of onions you prefer. You could even add diced bell peppers (red, green, yellow, orange) if you wanted to to add a different flavor and a whole lot of color.
The ranch dressing makes the chicken taste delicious and keeps it moist. You could probably improvise with another creamy dressing if you wanted to I bet (I am thinking a creamy Caesar dressing might be yum!)
Because I didn’t have any bell peppers on hand I added some chopped fresh tomatoes at the end…just for some color. Chopped green onions or parsley would be great too.
We have no leftovers with this recipe…it was devoured quickly!
Check out these fantastic slow cooker chicken thigh recipes!
- Crock-Pot Easy Chicken and Stuffing + Video
- Crock-Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- Crock-Pot Pineapple Verde Chicken + Video
- Crock-Pot Barbecue Lime Chicken
- Crock-Pot Maple Dijon Chicken
Crock-Pot Chicken Potato Bake Recipe
- 8 Ounces Bottled Ranch Salad Dressing
- 6 Whole Bone-In Chicken Thighs
- 4 Medium Russet Potatoes
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 6 Slices Center Cut Bacon (Cooked)
- 8 Ounces Three Cheese Blend Shredded Cheese
- 1 Medium Roma Tomato (Diced)
- 1 Teaspoon Rosemary & Garlic Seasoning (Divided, Such As Tone’s Brand)
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Paprika
- ½ Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Place chicken thighs in a food storage container and squeeze the ranch salad dressing over the chicken, turn to coat the chicken in the ranch dressing. Place the lid on the container and place in the refrigerator and allow to marinate for at least 2 hours.
- Dice the potatoes, onions and cooked bacon into bite sized pieces.
- In a large skillet on the stove-top over medium-high heat add the olive oil and let it get hot. Add the chopped potatoes, onions and bacon to the pan and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes until the potatoes are slightly browned and the onions are translucent.
- Add the potato and onion mixture into the bottom of a 6 quart or larger slow cooker and spread it out evenly.
- Sprinkle half of rosemary and garlic seasoning on top of the potatoes.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with a thin layer of the 3 cheese blend.
- Place each ranch covered chicken onto the potatoes. Discarding the remaining ranch dressing marinade.
- Sprinkle again with the remaining half of the rosemary and garlic seasoning, paprika, salt and pepper. Then sprinkle a thicker layer of shredded 3 cheese blend.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours or 4 to 5 hours on HIGH or until the internal temperature of the chicken registers 165°F on a instant read meat thermometer.
- Once you’ve reached that temperature add another layer of cheese and small chopped tomatoes and continue cooking for 20 to 30 minutes more on LOW.