Warm up to a bowl of this satisfying Crock-Pot Three Cheese Broccoli Soup. Filled with and three cheeses (Cheddar, Parmesan and Gouda). Perfect for a cold day served with some crusty bread for a meal that will warm you up!
Slow Cooker Three Cheese Broccoli Soup
I had a great stash of fresh broccoli in my refrigerator. And while grocery shopping happened to find some Gouda cheese on manager markdown and decided to make a Crock-Pot Three Cheese Broccoli Soup.
I used other cheeses and various ingredients I had in the house and made it for Sunday dinner.
It turned out delicious, and was especially a hit with my 10 year old son who happens to have broccoli and cheese as his all time favorite meal. Making as a soup was perfect for him. My 8 year old, who is very food hesitant, even dipped crackers in it (literally the first time she has ever done that!) so we will definitely be eating it again.
For the three cheeses I used Cheddar, Parmesan, and Gouda Cheese. I really just thought the combination would be the perfect balance. But if you have a different favorite cheese you could replace the Gouda or even make it a 4 cheese soup.
No one will mind, as these just work so well with each other, offsetting the broccoli. You can also add a little bit of rice if you wish, I didn’t even think about it till after.
With our little bit of leftovers, we served it on top of baked potatoes for the following meal. It could also be placed with a bowl of steaming rice or noodles.
Crock-Pot Three Cheese Broccoli Soup Recipe
- ¼ cup Unsalted Butter
- 1 large Onion (chopped)
- ¼ cup All-Purpose Flour
- 12 ounces Canned Evaporated Milk
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 4 – 5 cups Fresh Broccoli Florets
- ½ teasoon Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 10 ounces Gouda Cheese (shredded or crumbled)
- 1 ½ cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese (shredded)
- In a medium frying pan set over medium high heat on the stove-top melt the butter and add the onions and cooking while stirring for about 4 minutes until the onions are translucent. Stir in the flour and cook for one minute, stirring continuously and then add the evaporated milk and stir until your mixture is thickened.
- Line a 6 quart or larger slow cooker with a liner if you want to and then pour the onion mixture into the crock. Pour in your 4 cups of Chicken Broth. Add the broccoli florets and spices. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours. I stirred occasionally (not required).
- After the 4 hours, add your shredded Gouda cheese, stir in and cook on low for an hour. After that is melted add the other two cheese, stir in and cook for another 10 – 20 minutes. Once the cheeses are all melted it is ready to serve.