This is a super easy and kid friendly way to prepare the ever so frugal favorite – chicken drumsticks (legs??). You can toss this together in no time and have dinner on the table without heating up the house baking chicken.
I like to serve this with some quick stir-fried veggies and some steamed rice (white or brown, your choice). The extra sauce is yummy drizzled over both!
Crock-Pot Hawaiian Chicken
2-3 Lbs. Chicken Drumsticks (legs)
1 (15 Oz. Can Crushed Pineapple
1/4 Cup Low-Sodium Soy Sauce
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
2 Tablespoons Cornstarch (optional)
- In a bowl mix together the crushed pineapple (with the juice), soy sauce, ground ginger and garlic. Mix well.
- Place chicken drumsticks in the bottom of a 6-quart crock-pot.
- Pour pineapple mixture over top and give everything a quick toss.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or until chicken is cooked through.
- To make a nice glazed sauce to pour over the chicken remove the chicken from the crock-pot and pour out the sauce from the crock into a small saucepan.
- Heat juices on the stove on medium high until they come to a boil.
- In the meantime mix 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 1/4 cup cold water until no lumps.
- Pour cornstarch slurry into into boiling crock-pot juices and whisk and cook until thickened about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with rice, steamed veggies and pour sauce over chicken and rice if desired.
I do not recommend cooking this dish in the crock-pot on high. Chicken tends to dry out when overcooked in the slow cooker.
The sauce/glaze is totally optional the chicken is good without it. But even BETTER with it!
If you enjoyed this post please share it!