Make this Crock-Pot Low Carb Meatloaf it’s cheesy, savory and gluten free too! A delicious, moist tasty meatloaf that’s easy to make and nutritious. Just 5 Weight Watchers SmartPoints per serving!
Crock-Pot Low Carb Meatloaf
We have been making some dietary changes for the adults in my family so I needed to come up with a way to make meatloaf without using grains like bread crumbs or oatmeal as it pushes the carbs too high. This recipe for low carb meatloaf cooked in the slow cooker turned out to be an excellent change and you would never know it’s missing the carbs.
If you are on a gluten free diet this recipe can work for you too. Just be sure to read your labels to make sure there is no hidden gluten. Paying particular attention to your garlic powder and shredded Parmesan if you are buying it pre-shredded. Both of these items can sometimes contain anti-caking products that may contain gluten.
This recipe is basically using the grated Parmesan cheese as a substitute of the normal bread crumbs used in most meatloaf recipes. You can use Parmesan cheese in the plastic tub/containers, fresh shredded or fresh flaked Parmesan. Parmesan gives a fabulous flavor along with the cheddar cheese chunks.
I used 2 pounds of extra lean ground beef but you can also use ground chicken, turkey or sausage or a mix of them. You will either need a loaf pan that can fit in your crock or an aluminum version that will fit.
This will not taste like a diet type food. It was savory and delicious. My family really enjoyed it and I will be making it again. Meatloaf is perfectly made in the slow cooker because it keeps it so moist, versus a tendency to dry out in the oven.
This recipe is easily changed to what your family prefers and enjoy so mix up that meat and cheese to what your family loves.
- Extra Lean Ground Beef – For this recipe use the leanest ground beef/hamburger/minced beef that you can find. I like to use 93% lean 7% fat (or leaner if I can find it).
- Eggs – In all our recipes (unless otherwise stated) we use large eggs.
- Pork Rinds – This is the secret ingredient to keeping this meatloaf low carb. Instead of bread crumbs or other high carb ingredient, crushed pork rinds (also known as chicharrones) are used to bind the ground beef and hold it together.
- Parmesan Cheese – Use a good quality Parmesan cheese for the best flavor possible.
- Onion – I prefer a yellow onion in most recipes, however, a white onion will work too.
- Kosher Salt – I prefer the flavor of kosher salt over regular table salt. But if you don’t have kosher salt you can use sea salt, table salt or even garlic salt (and just adjust the garlic salt a little bit).
- Garlic Powder – This is a pantry staple and adds great garlic flavor to your meatloaf. If you want to up the garlic flavor you can add more garlic powder (also known as granulated garlic) or mince up a couple of fresh garlic cloves.
- Cheddar Cheese – In this recipe you are going to use diced cheddar cheese. I like a nice sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese but feel free to use a more mild cheese if you prefer.
- Low Sugar Ketchup – The ketchup is optional but for me at least, a meat loaf is not a meat loaf without that yummy ketchup glaze on top. To keep the carb count down use a low sugar brand of ketchup.
- Prepare a loaf pan that will fit inside a 6 quart or larger oval slow cooker by spraying it with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl add all ingredients except the cheddar cheese and the ketchup. Carefully mix the ingredients with your hands being careful not to over mix.
- Add the cheddar cheese and carefully mix in.
- Scoop the meatloaf mixture into the loaf pan and shape into a loaf shape.
- Spread the low sugar ketchup evenly over the top of the meatloaf.
- Using aluminum foil… cut long sheets of the foil, fold in half long wise and then crisscross them in the slow cooker insert so when you place the loaf pan in you’ll be able to pull the foil carefully at the ends as a handle to transfer the loaf pan out of the crock.
- Place the loaf pan in, and carefully roll the top of the foil over so it won’t be in the way of the meatloaf.
- Cover and cook on LOW for about 8 hours or 4 to 6 hours on HIGH or until a meat thermometer reads 160° F (72° C).
- Using hot pads, carefully remove the loaf pan from the slow cooker using the foil handles and place on a heatproof surface. All the meatloaf to rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- 6 Quart Slow Cooker (Or Larger)
- Loaf Pan
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Cheese Grater
- Cutting Board
- Aluminum Foil
- Meat Thermometer
More tasty low carb slow cooker recipes!
- Crock-Pot Crab Rangoon Dip + Video
- Slow Cooker Hot Chicken Salad
- Crock-Pot Lobster Bisque + Video
- Slow Cooker Ranch Mushrooms
- Crock-Pot Pesto Chicken + Video
5 SmartPoints (FreeStyle Plan) – Click here for MORE Weight Watchers Recipes
|Beef Crock-Pot Recipes||Easy Slow Cooker Recipes|
|Hamburger Slow Cooker Recipes||Entree Crock-Pot Recipes|
|American Crock-Pot Recipes||6.5 Quart Slow Cooker Recipes|