Traditional Crock-Pot Irish Soda Bread cooked in the slow cooker. This recipe uses buttermilk & no raisins or caraway seeds to follow the authentic recipes.
Slow Cooker Irish Soda Bread
Just in time for St. Patrick’s day this recipe for Irish soda bread is made in your slow cooker and could not be any easier to make.
There is nothing like a slice of freshly baked warm bread spread with a little butter and jam to make you smile and this recipe for Irish soda bread is made with just a handful of ingredients and does not require any yeast (or the rising time associated with yeast breads).
To make this bread rise baking soda and baking powder are the leavening ingredients instead of yeast. And buttermilk, with it’s little bit of acidity reacts with the baking powder to make the bread rise.
Irish soda bread is not a fluffy bread however, expect the texture to be more like an American biscuit. Fluffy yet dense.
This recipe for Crock-Pot Irish Soda Bread is Weight Watchers Friendly on the new Personal Points plan. You can see the WW personal points for this recipe here on the Weight Watchers website. Click here for MORE of our Weight Watchers Recipes
Crock-Pot Irish Soda Bread Recipe
- Grease the inside of a 6 quart or larger slow cooker by spreading it with butter, shortening or non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cut in the softened butter with a pastry blender or a hand held mixer until the dough is crumbly.
- Stir in the buttermilk, slowly 1/4 cup at a time, just until the dough forms a ball. You may not need all of the buttermilk. If your dough is too sticky, add a little more flour, if it is too dry add a little more buttermilk. Add in buttermilk, slowly about 1/4 cup at a time, just until dough moves towards center of your bowl. You might not need all of it.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead by hand for about one minute, until smooth.
- Shape dough into a round loaf about 6 to 8 inches in diameter.
- Place loaf into bottom of prepared slow cooker. You can also place into a pan first and put inside slow cooker. (See notes)
- Cut an X about a half-inch deep across top of loaf.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours. Bread is ready when it’s golden brown.
- Serve with butter and jam if desired.