A fun family-friendly meal, this recipe for Crock-Pot Cheesy Chicken and Rice is perfect for dinner or even taking to a potluck or party!
Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken and Rice
Crock-Pot Cheesy Chicken and Rice came about as I was wandering around at the grocery store during a vacation to Tennessee back in May.
I had traveled there with my family and met some of my extended family to see Newsies on Broadway and tour some of the fun sights of Nashville.
We were trying to keep costs down thus, wanted to do meals at our rented condo.
As I was racking my brain trying to figure out what to cook, I grabbed my phone and started Googling.
My father prefers chicken meals so that is what I went with, and since my kids love rice, I figured we could come up with a nice combo. Voila, I Googled recipes and found one from Corey at Family Fresh Meals and felt it would work for our family and thought we would give it a shot.
There were 7 of us, so I doubled the recipe, but used 2 different slow cookers (didn’t have my biggest crocks with me, and we used one that the condo provided as well).
Outside of replacing cream of celery soup for cream of chicken soup instead, which was totally by accident, I didn’t alter the recipe. Normally I just try and get an idea here and there, but no time or energy on vacation, so I’m giving all my credit to Family Fresh Meals.
This recipe for Crock-Pot Cheesy Chicken and Rice is Weight Watchers Friendly on the new Personal Points plan. You can see the WW personal points for this recipe here on the Weight Watchers website. Click here for MORE of our Weight Watchers Recipes
Crock-Pot Cheesy Chicken and Rice Recipe
- 4 whole Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts ( )
- 2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 medium Yellow Onion (chopped)
- 10.5 ounces Low Fat Cream Of Chicken Soup ((1 can))
- 2 cups Low Sodium Chicken Stock
- 15 ounces Canned Corn (drained)
- 8 ounces Zatarain’s Yellow Rice ((1 box – cooked according to package directions towards end of slow cooker cooking time))
- If desired, spray a 6 quart or larger slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray OR use a slow cooker liner. Place chicken breasts and chopped onions in slow cooker.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine together the cream of chicken soup and chicken stock and pour over the chicken and onions in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours.
- During the last 30 minutes of cooking time prepare the rice on the stove-top according to the instructions on the package.
- Depending on the brand of chicken you use you may find there to be excess cooking liquid in the slow cooker. Carefully spoon out excess cooking liquid so that there is about 2 cups of liquid left in the slow cooker.
- Shred the chicken breast meat up into bite sized pieces.
- Add the cooked rice, shredded cheese and canned corn and mix together in the slow cooker.
- Recover and allow to cook on LOW heat for just about 5 to 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and then you are ready to serve and enjoy!