With just 3 ingredients, this frugal kid friendly recipe for Crock-Pot Sausage and Rice is sure to be a hit for dinner with the entire family!
Crock-Pot Sausage and Rice
Sausage and rice is one of my kids favorite meals. But, normally I make it on the stove-top because that is just how I have always done it.
But this time around I decided to try and adapt a family favorite meal into a slow cooker recipe.
This type of dish does not lend itself well to trying to cook the rice in the slow cooker, so it seemed that it may be a futile effort to attempt to make this into a slow cooker recipe.
But I was determined.
We are often SO busy at dinner time, what with lessons and homework and whatnot. It is nice to not have to be babysitting dinner.
In the end the final result tasted just like our normal sausage and rice and the kids really enjoyed it.
If you are not a family that eats pork, try using turkey or chicken sausage instead. They both will work great in this recipe!
- Ground Pork Sausage – I used a mild sausage, but if you like a little spice feel free to use a hot sausage. And, if you don’t eat pork turkey or chicken sausage works too!
- Mixed Frozen – Buy a 1 pound bag of mixed frozen vegetables that contains carrots, peas, green beans and corn.
- Minute Rice – I like to use minute rice which is simply rice that has been pre-cooked and then dehydrated so that it cooks very quickly. You can use traditional long grain rice too, just give yourself ample time to cook the rice on the stove-top or in a rice cooker.
- Salt And Pepper – This is simply “to taste”.
- Place the raw ground sausage in the bottom of a 5 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours, stirring and crumbling up the sausage meat every 1 hour or so.
- Carefully spoon off any excess fat from the sausage.
- Add the bag of frozen vegetables, recover and continue to cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- While the vegetables are cooking in the slow cooker prepare the minute rice according to the instructions on the package.
- Add the cooked rice to the sausage and vegetable mixture in the slow cooker and carefully stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
More Frugal Slow Cooker Recipes:
|Sausage Crock-Pot Recipes||Pork Slow Cooker Recipes|
|Entree Slow Cooker Recipes||Kid Friendly Crock-Pot Recipes|
|3 Ingredients Or Less Crock-Pot Recipes||Frugal Slow Cooker Recipes|