This recipe for Crock-Pot Cabbage, Kielbasa Sausage and Potatoes is delicious, easy to make and frugal too. An old fashioned recipe made new by cooking it in the slow cooker!
Crock-Pot Cabbage, Kielbasa Sausage and Potatoes
I purchased a head of cabbage and some kielbasa sausage at the grocery store and headed to the kitchen to make it. It was quite lovely. But… my house is full of food critics. From my husband on down to the youngest child, they all have something to say about the food I make them and often have suggestions for how a dish could be improved upon.
So while the original recipe is great I went ahead and adapted it a little bit to enhance the flavors but without straying away from the frugal recipe that it is.
Again, I headed back to the store for another head of cabbage (luckily they have been on sale recently due to St. Patrick’s Day) and this time I got some turkey kielbasa sausage just because I am on Weight Watchers and am trying to make healthier choices.
You can of course use regular kielbasa sausage.
The additions and changes made:
- Apple cider vinegar instead of white distilled vinegar, and more of it. I think apple cider vinegar adds another flavor dimension and we thought the dish could use a little bit more zip.
- Spicy brown mustard instead of yellow mustard. Maybe it is just a personal preference but I prefer a more grainy mustard and like to leave the bright yellow mustard for the occasional hot dog.
- Seasoning salt and pepper…the original recipe calls for “salt & pepper to taste” and my husband grabbed the seasoning salt and we all ground some pepper over our dinner. So the second go around I just included that in the recipe.
- Chicken stock instead of broth. Either would be fine but since stock is reduced a little bit more than broth it carries more flavor. Plus it is just what I buy and keep in the pantry. I use fat free because again, I am trying to make healthier choices.
- Minced garlic. My husband LOVES garlic and I agreed with him that it could use more garlic than the garlic powder provides. So a couple cloves of minced garlic went in the pot.
Overall this is a pretty forgiving recipe. Feel free to add more or less of any of the ingredients. Have fun, eat and enjoy!
|Kielbasa Crock-Pot Recipes||Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes|
|Entree Slow Cooker Recipes||Turkey Crock-Pot Recipes|
|Cabbage Crock-Pot Recipes||Potato Slow Cooker Recipes|
Products Used In This Crock-Pot Cabbage, Kielbasa Sausage and Potatoes Recipe: