Cornbread stuffing mix and oysters come together in this classic recipe for Crock-Pot Oyster Stuffing. The perfect addition to your holiday meal!
Slow Cooker Oyster Stuffing
My grandma’s family on my father’s side hails from Vermont and New Hampshire with roots as far back as the 1640’s. And in many New England families oyster stuffing is a traditional dish usually served during the holidays.
This recipe uses boxed cornbread stuffing mix (I like Stove-Top brand) which is built upon to add flavors such as sautéed onions in butter, chicken broth and poultry seasoning. And then the oysters, canned oysters along with some of the juices.
Give this recipe a try at your next Christmas or Thanksgiving feast!
Crock-Pot Oyster Stuffing Recipe
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter then add onion. Sautee until onions are translucent.8 Ounces Unsalted Butter –1 Large Yellow Onion
- Add onion and butter mixture to a 6 quart or larger slow cooker.
- To the slow cooker add the stuffing mix, chicken broth and poultry seasoning and stir until everything is moistened with the chicken broth.12 Ounces Cornbread Stuffing Mix –1 Teaspoon Poultry Seasoning –2 Cups Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
- Drain juice from oysters in a bowl, reserving the liquid. Set liquid aside.16 Ounces Canned Whole Oysters
- Chop oysters into bite size pieces. Add to slow cooker.
- Add half of the oyster juice from the canned oysters that you set aside to the slow cooker.
- Stir well.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours.
- Serve and enjoy!