Make this Crock-Pot Caramel Apple Butter today right in your slow cooker with just 5 simple ingredients. This luscious and sweet fruit butter is great on your morning toast or even spooned over vanilla ice cream for a yummy fall treat! Also great for gift giving put up in cute canning jars!
Slow Cooker Caramel Apple Butter
This recipe for apple butter is a bit different than your average slow cooker apple butter because it contains the additions of caramels which adds a nice sweetness and creaminess to the flavor of the apple butter.
My favorite way to eat apple butter is spooned over yogurt for breakfast or over vanilla bean ice cream for dessert.
But my kids love it inside a peanut butter and apple butter sandwich or spread on their morning toast.
This is a canning recipe so that you can preserve this apple butter and enjoy it all year around. I have included basic water bath canning instructions. But if you are a beginner canner I highly suggest you check out the comprehensive book that is put out by Ball (the makers of the most popular canning jars in America) – Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving
High Altitude Water Bath Canning:
And if you are canning this recipe above sea level you will need to process your jars a bit longer.
- 1,001 – 3,000 feet above sea level – process this recipe for an additional 5 minutes.
- 3,001 – 6,000 feet above sea level – process this recipe for an additional 10 minutes.
- 6,001 – 8,000 feet above sea level – process this recipe for an additional 15 minutes.
- 8,001 – 10,000 feet above sea level – process this recipe for an additional 20 minutes.
- Apples – Cored and cut into 4ths. If you are using a food mill you can leave the skins on as they will be caught in the mesh of the food mill. If you are using a food processor you may wish to peel the apples first.
- Apple Cider – You can also use apple juice.
- Caramels – I used an 11 ounce bag of Kraft caramels and put the kids to work on unwrapping them all.
- Place apples and apple cider in a 6 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 hours, or until the apples start to smash easily when you stir them.
- Using a slotted spoon, place apples in a food mill or food processor and process them until smooth. Discard any liquid left in the slow cooker.
- Place apple puree back into slow cooker and add caramels, cinnamon and cloves. Stirring well to incorporate the spices.
- Recover slow cooker and cook on LOW for an additional 2 hours, or until the caramels are melted. Stir to distribute the melted caramels throughout the apple butter.
- Ladle hot apple butter into cleaned and sterilized pint sized canning jars. Leavings 1 inch head-space at the top of each jar. Wipe the rim of each jar with a warm washcloth.
- Place lids on jars and screw bands on until finger tight, being careful not to over tighten the bands.
- Using canning tongs carefully place hot jars into a water bath canner that is filled with water that has been brought to a boil.
- Process in the water bath canner for 15 minutes, adjusting the time as necessary if you are canning above sea level.
- Using canning tongs, carefully lift out each jar and place it on a kitchen towel on the counter top. Allow the jars to cool naturally and seal.
- Label jars and store in a dark cool place for up to 2 years.
- 6 Quart Slow Cooker (Or Larger)
- Liquid Measuring Cup
- Slotted Spoon
- Food Mill OR Food Processor
- Measuring Spoons
- Water Bath Canner
- Tongs For Canning
- Funnel For Canning
- Canning Jars
- Kitchen Towel
More Fantastic Slow Cooker Apple Recipes:
- Crock-Pot Apple Pie Moonshine + Video
- Slow Cooker Apple Pie Oatmeal
- Crock-Pot Baked Apples
- Slow Cooker Apple Pecan Dump Cake
- Crock-Pot Apple Butter
- Blue WW Plan – 0 Points
- Green WW Plan – 0 Points
- Purple WW Plan – 0 Points
|Apple Crock-Pot Recipes||Canning Slow Cooker Recipes|
|Caramel Slow Cooker Recipes||5 Ingredients Or Less Crock-Pot Recipes|
|American Crock-Pot Recipes||Fall Slow Cooker Recipes|