Turn a plain old boring beef rump roast into magnificent and tender Crock-Pot Shredded Barbecue Beef. Perfect for dinner or your next potluck or get-together! The secret ingredient is some lemon lime soda!
Slow Cooker Shredded Barbecue Beef
The secret ingredient in this shredded barbecue beef recipe is the addition of some lemon-lime soda. The soda makes the beef rump roast nice and tender as it cooks away in the slow cooker and adds some nice flavor too! You can use any brand of lemon-lime soda such as Sprite, 7Up, Sierra Mist or even generic lemon-lime soda brands. Diet lemon-lime soda works too because it is not the sugar in the soda, but the citric acids that act as the meat tenderizer.
The rest of the recipe is pretty straight forward, you will create a spice rub to put over all of the sides of the meat, place the roast on top of rounds of onion (this adds flavor and lifts the meat up off the bottom of the slow cooker. And then you let the beef cook for 6 to 8 hours or until the meat is is easily shredded.
Shred the meat with two forks, dice up the cooked onions and add them into the shredded meat (totally optional) and add your favorite brand of bottled BBQ sauce.
This recipe for Crock-Pot Shredded Barbecue Beef is Weight Watchers Friendly on the new Personal Points plan. You can see the WW personal points for this recipe here on the Weight Watchers website. Click here for MORE of our Weight Watchers Recipes
Crock-Pot Shredded Barbecue Beef Recipe
- 6 Quart Crock-Pot or larger
- 2 ½ pounds Beef Rump Roast
- ¼ cup Water
- ¾ teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
- 1 ½ teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 ½ tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 1 whole Onion (cut into rounds (you will finely chop later))
- 1 ¼ cup Lemon Lime Soda (such as Sprite or 7UP)
- 1 bottle Barbecue Sauce (your favorite brand)
- Trim as much visible fat off roast and cut the roast into 4 pieces.
- Mix the dry spices in a bowl and rub spice mixture all over the roast.
- Place onion on bottom of a 6 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Place roast on top of the onion.
- Pour water, Worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke in a glass measuring cup with spout and pour liquid over meat without disturbing the dry spice mixture too much.
- Pour lemon-lime soda over everything.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 – 8 hours until meat is fork tender.
- Remove meat from slow cooker and place on baking dish and shred the meat with 2 forks.
- Chop up the onion if desired and mix in with the shredded meat.
- Add as much BBQ sauce as you like.
- Place shredded meat and BBQ sauce back into the slow cooker and set on the WARM setting if desired to keep the meat warm for serving.
- Serve on buns or rolls and enjoy!