Make the most of fresh summer squash with this easy recipe for Crock-Pot Creamy Chicken and Summer Squash. A great dinner for a summer day!
Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken And Summer Squash
We love this time of year when we can use our garden to supplement our meals with recipes like Crock-Pot Creamy Chicken and Summer Squash. Any summer squash will work for this recipe. I used yellow squash, but you can also use zucchini, crookneck squash, cousa squash, pattypan squash, or globe squash.
Feel free to mix them up even for added color and an eye appealing dish!
You could also use just 3 squash and make up the difference with baby carrots, seeded quartered tomatoes or peppers. Those would make it pop even more and would be fabulous for taste.
I used canned cream of chicken, but you can make your own with the recipe here.
My family is eating low carb so I used crushed pork rinds instead of bread crumbs but regular bread crumbs will work just great if you are not on a low carb diet. You can even omit it if necessary.
You guys know that I just really like to cook flexible recipes that you can easily adapt to your needs and the tastes of your family. While I encourage you to try this recipe as written I think sometimes a recipe can just be used as inspiration for something you make up on your own by swapping out ingredients or veggies.
So feel free to use your favorite cheese, and favorite summer squash or whatever bounty is coming from your garden as it’s sure to be a hit. I served this on just some basic rice that I cooked on the stove. Pasta would work great as well!
Bonus points…the leftovers taste great too!
- 6 Quart Slow Cooker (Or Larger)
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Cups And Spoons
- Cutting Board
- Can Opener
- Cheese Grater
- Instant Read Meat Thermometer
Frequently Asked Questions
Frozen squash will work in this recipe. About 4 cups of sliced frozen squash can be replaced with the 4 small fresh summer squash.
You can use zucchini in this recipe instead of the yellow crookneck summer squash. Other soft skinned summer squashes such as pattypan squash, tatuma squash, tromboncino squash, zephyr squash, cousa squash, or even ronde de nice squash can all be used in this recipe.
You can use any kind of canned condensed “cream of” type soups in this recipe. Cream of celery and cream of mushroom soups are probably the most common ones that one may want to use. If you are on a gluten free diet, there are indeed gluten free varieties out there on the market. I like the Great Value brand of gluten free soups found at Walmart or the Healthy Valley brand found in many grocery stores or online.
Additionally you can make your own “Cream of Anything Soup Mix” and use it in any recipe that calls for canned cream of chicken, mushroom or celery soup.
This recipe for Crock-Pot Creamy Chicken And Summer Squash is Weight Watchers Friendly on the new Personal Points plan. You can see the WW personal points for this recipe here on the Weight Watchers website. Click here for MORE of our Weight Watchers Recipes
Crock-Pot Creamy Chicken And Summer Squash Recipe
- 3 Pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 21 Ounces Canned Cream Of Chicken Soup
- 16 Ounces Sour Cream
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion (Diced)
- 1 ½ Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- ½ Teaspoon Garlic Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 4 Small Yellow Summer Squash (Sliced)
- 1 Cup Bread Crumbs (Or Crushed Pork Rinds If On A Gluten Free Or Low Carb Diet)
- Dried Parsley (As A Garnish (Optional))
- Ground Paprika (As A Garnish (Optional))
- Place chicken breasts in a 6 quart or larger slow cooker.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, onion, cheddar cheese, garlic salt, and pepper.
- Add the sliced summer squash to the bowl and fold into the sauce, making sure all of the squash is covered.
- Pour the mixture over the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs evenly over the top of everything in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or HIGH for 4 hours or until an instant read meat thermometer registers 165° F (74° C).
- Serve chicken and squash with the sauce over hot cooked rice or pasta, garnishing with parsley and paprika if desired.