If you are a bacon and onion lover then you are going to ADORE this yummy recipe for Crock-Pot Cheesy Bacon Onion Dip! Bacon, caramelized onions & cheese! Oh my!
Slow Cooker Cheesy Bacon Onion Dip
Everyone will love this yummy dip. I mean who doesn’t like bacon and caramelized onions? I know that I could eat just those two things all day long so I thought I would combine the two into a delicious dip that is perfect for your next party, potluck or whatever get-together you have going on!
There are a few steps involved in this recipe because you have to cook your bacon and then caramelize the onions first on the stove top. But the result is SO worth it and you can of course do those two steps way ahead of your party so that your not rushed before your party and you home doesn’t smell like onions and bacon.
Go ahead and do the cooking up to a couple of days ahead of time and just store the bacon and onions in your refrigerator.
The day of your party…throw everything in your slow cooker and you are good to go.
So the first step is to get out a frying pan and cook up your bacon until it is nice and crisp. Drain off the bacon drippings but leave about 2 tablespoons in the pan. Be sure to leave all the browned bacon bits that stick to the pan…those have a lot of flavor and will add some goodness to the dip.
Add in the onions, brown sugar, garlic and sprinkle in some salt and pepper. Cook up the onions until they are golden brown and caramelized.
At this point you can combine the cooked bacon and onions in a food storage container and put it in the refrigerator until your party.
If your ready to make your dip…throw the bacon and onions into the slow cooker, add in the rest of the ingredients and turn it on to cook for about 2 hours on HIGH until everything is nice and melt-y. Give it a stir at about the halfway mark and another stir at the end. Turn your crock-pot onto the warm setting to keep it warm at your party!
I serve this yummy bacon goodness dip with tortilla chips but feel free to serve it with slices of crusty bread, pita chips or even cut up veggies!
I served this dip with my neighbor friend and he really liked this dip a lot and asked me to make it again. The second time I made it I only used 1 tablespoon of bacon drippings and a Vidalia onion instead of a regular yellow onion. The onion flavor was much milder which might be good for those who shy away from a stronger onion flavor.
I actually preferred the flavor of the dip made with a regular yellow onion.
But then again…I LOVE onions! 🙂
You Are Going To Love These Dips Too!
- Crock-Pot Easy Artichoke and Spinach Dip
- Slow Cooker Caramel Dip
- Crock-Pot Cream Cheese Taco Dip + Video
- Slow Cooker Queso Blanco Dip + Video
- Crock-Pot Bacon Jam
Crock-Pot Cheesy Bacon Onion Dip Recipe
- 1 pound Bacon (diced and cooked)
- 1 large Onion (chopped)
- 2 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 2 cups Mozzarella Cheese (shredded)
- 10 ounces Canned Diced Tomatoes (drained)
- In a medium skillet cook the diced bacon until nice and crispy. Remove the cooked bacon from the skillet and allow to drain on paper towels.
- Drain off the bacon drippings reserving 2 tablespoons in the pan. Add the onions, brown sugar, garlic, salt and pepper to the pan and cook until the onions are golden brown and caramelized.
- Add the bacon, caramelized onion mixture, cream cheese, sour cream, mozzarella cheese, and the diced tomatoes to a 4 quart slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours or until the cheese has melted. Stir halfway through cooking time and once more at the end.
- Turn crock-pot to the WARM setting to keep warm and melty while serving.
- Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Reply