Crock-Pot Mexican Lasagna – Whip It Up Wednesday
1 1/2 Pounds Sirloin, Thinly Sliced Into One Inch Strips
1/2 Small Yellow Onion, Chopped
6-10 Flour Tortillas (Depending on Size of Your Crock-Pot)
1-2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
16 Ounces Ricotta Cheese ,Part Skim
8 Ounces Canned Corn, Drain (Or Frozen Corn)
4 Ounce Can Chopped Jalapenos, Drained
6 Ounce Can Sliced Black Olives, Drained
14.5 Ounce Can Diced Tomatoes With Green Chilies, Drained
19 Ounce Can Black Beans, Drained and Rinsed
1 Jar Medium Salsa or Picante Sauce
- Spray crock with Pam or grease slightly with shortening or butter
- Brown beef and onion and drain fat.
- Mix ricotta and 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese in bowl.
- Place one or more tortillas at bottom of crock-pot. (Basically cover bottom of crock, rip or cut tortillas if necessary to just cover)
- Add a few tablespoons of tomatoes, then a few tablespoons of ricotta mix, then some olives and jalapenos.
- Add another layer of tortillas, again covering entire surface.
- Add another layer of tomatoes, then 1/2 beans, 1/2 the corn, 1/2 meat and some of the leftover cheese.
- Add more tortillas and repeat layers until all ingredients are used up, making last layer tortillas. Be careful to only fill 3/4 full.
- Add some salsa or picante sauce just to lightly coat.
- Then sprinkle with more cheddar cheese if desired.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Cut carefully and serve with a little extra salsa if desired.
You don’t have to be too worried about how you construct the layers, you can layer them as you see fit. Just use your tortillas at bottom and top to keep everything together as much as possible. Make sure to drain canned vegetables and meat or this will be very liquidy. The tortillas will be soft but you don’t want them soggy. You can also mix this up and add other veggies or a different type of meat, or even do it without the meat. I made this in my 4 quart model.