Crock-Pot Southwest Tamale Pie
Author: Lady Heidi
Recipe type: Entree
- 2 Pounds Ground Beef or Turkey (browned, drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 Yellow Onion (Diced)
- 1 (4 Oz.) Can Diced Green Chilies
- 2 (14.5 Oz.) Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 Cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- 2 (8.5 Oz.) Boxes Of Cornbread Mix* (Batter prepared according to directions on box)
- In a large crock-pot combine browned ground beef, diced onion, green chilies, tomatoes, garlic, oregano, and cumin.
- Mix well till combined.
- Spread evenly over bottom of crock-pot.
- Pour prepared corn bread batter over meat mixture and spread evenly.
- Cover crock-pot and cook for 6 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
You may wish to top finished tamale pie with grated cheese (cheddar or jack) and some diced avocado. Serve with beans and Mexican rice for a delicious meal! *I used Jiffy brand corn bread mix.
Recipe by Crock-Pot Ladies at http://crockpotladies.com/recipe-categories/entrees/crockpot-southwest-tamale-pie/