I really intended to make a raspberry and apple dessert but as luck would have it my raspberries turned moldy before I had a chance. Blech! Hate when that happens. So I went with the strawberries instead figuring it has to be just as good if not better! I’m calling this a “crumble” because the topping isn’t going to 100% cover your fruit and it isn’t completely crispy but oh so good. Because we are a dairy free and soy free home (at least for right now) I made this with Earth Balance spread that has no soy and no dairy. You can make it with regular butter or margarine too. Love a dessert like this that I can whip up really quick and it’s not full of chemicals and fat!
Crock-Pot Strawberry Apple Crisp
4 Small to Medium Granny Smith Apples, Peeled, Cored and Sliced
1/2 Pound Fresh Strawberries, Sliced
3/4 Cup Granulated Brown Sugar
1/3 Cup Quick Oats (Not Instant Oatmeal)
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 Cup Earths Balance Spread (Or Butter or Margarine)
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla
Few Drops Lemon Juice
- Grease crock-pot with a small bit of Crisco or other shortening if desired.
- Add fruit to bottom of crock-pot.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice and vanilla.
- Mix sugar, oats, cinnamon in small bowl.
- Melt spread or butter and mix in to dry mixture.
- Sprinkle on top of fruit.
- Place 4 or 5 paper towels over top of crock-pot.
- Cover, wedging utensil under crock-pot so air can escape.
- Cook on high for about 2 hours.
- Serve alone or with your favorite dessert topping, ice cream or non-dairy dessert!
Linked up at the Old Fashioned Recipe Exchange!