This was one of those great recipes where I put it together on a whim, had no plans other then I needed to come up with something for dinner. My favorite day for Crock-Potting is Sunday, so I came home from church, pulled out the meat from the freezer and quickly dethawed it some, then looked to see what kind of veggies I had laying around to throw in. Although I have done many a cut of meat, I actually have never tried a steak. Normally one saves steak for the grill, but this one was a cheaper cut that had been purchased as it was marked down. I probably wouldn’t use a Porterhouse or another expensive cut.
Crock-Pot Steak and Potatoes
1 Large Steak Cut (I used a Round Cut) That Will Fit the Approximate Length and Width of your Crock-Pot, Be Sure It is Boneless
2 Large Yellow Onions Chopped
4 Cloves of Garlic Chopped
2 1/2 Pounds of Potatoes, Chopped in Half (I Use Fingerling, which are so small they don’t need to be chopped).
1 Red Pepper Sliced
1 Small Zucchini Sliced in Large Chunks
1 Small Yellow Squash Sliced in Large Chunks
2-3 Tomatoes Chopped
Mrs. Dash Herb Blend
- I use a liner.
- Spray Pam or similar around the inside of the liner.
- Chop into large chunks the first onion and 2 cloves of garlic and spread at the bottom of the Crock.
- Place the steak into the crock, squishing it in as needed, it will shrink some as it is cooked, using pepper, seasoned salt and the herb blend on both sides.
- Chop the other yellow onion and cloves of garlic (with the onion in large chunks) and spread over the steak.
- Spread the potatoes, tomatoes, zucchini, squash and red pepper on top.
- Season with seasoned salt, pepper and more herb blend.
- Cook on low for 8 hours, or 4-6 on high.
- When done scoop up the veggies into a bowl, carefully pull out the steak, drain the leftover veggie chunks from the juices, and use the juices as a gravy.
- I served over rice (do not cook rice in the crock-pot).
- I would sprinkle both the veggies and the steak with a bit more pepper and seasoned salt.