So this has been one of my most favorite recipes so far because nearly all of it came from my garden. Eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, and tomatoes were all from my garden. So glad we are not having a drought this year, because all of my hard work in the garden, means yummy meals for my family. This is also a vegetarian meal and my kids didn’t even realize it.
1 Large Eggplant, peeled and sliced into slices 1/4th inch thick
2 Large Zucchini sliced 1/4th inch thick
1 Yellow Squash sliced 1/4th inch thick
1 Large Onion, Julienne
3 Garlic Cloves, minced (I used preminced garlic)
1 Tomato Diced (because my roma tomatoes were so small I used about 4)
8 ounce Basic, Garlic, Oregano Tomato Sauce
1 Teaspoon Basil
1 Teaspoon Oregano
1 Teaspoon Sugar
2 Teaspoons Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
1 Tablespoon Parsley
1/4th Cup of Olive Oil
3 Cups of Rice Cooked, if desired
- I used a liner and sprayed it with Pam.
- Layer half the onions on the bottom of the crock.
- Layer half the eggplant over the onions
- Next Layer half the Zucchini and Yellow Squash on top of eggplant.
- Spread around half of the Garlic and Tomato.
- In a small bowl mix the tomato paste with all the herbs and half the salt.
- Pour that over the veggies.
- Next layer the onions again, followed by Eggplant, zucchini, and yellow squash.
- Follow with tomatoes.
- Then use the remaining salt over the mixture.
- Cover with the Olive Oil.
- Cook on low for 7-9 hours
- I cooked rice and then place the Ratatouille over the rice.
If you would like a spicy ratatouille replace the yellow squash with red and green peppers julienne.