This is a great recipe to try for summer. You can vary the vegetables too if you don’t like tomatoes or aren’t a fan of corn. I like that this could be eaten warm or cold so great for leftovers the next day (if you have any). My family is trying to eat a little more healthy and we have gone dairy free/soy free so trying new things. Serve this as a main course or as a side, we ate it as an entree. Yes you can enjoy a healthy warm summer salad from the crock-pot!
1 Cup Quinoa (Red or White)
1/2 Cup Water
1 Cup Corn (Frozen, Canned or Fresh)
1/2 Cup Chopped Tomatoes
1 Avacodo Cut Up
1 Small White Onion, Chopped
15 Ounce Can Black Beans, Rinsed and Drained
1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil Plus 1 Tablespoon
1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder or Minced Garlic
- Add quinoa to crock-pot with water.
- Add corn on top.
- Cook for 4-5 hours on low.
- Add beans, tomato, avocado, onion and 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Stir and cook for an additional 1/2 hour to one hour or until quinoa is cooked.*
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl or blender mix 1/4 cup olive oil, juice from the lime, garlic, cilantro, salt and pepper to make dressing.
- When quinoa is cooked serve warm or chilled and drizzle dressing on top.
*Quinoa is cooked when the little white thread has sprouted out of the seed. It will still have a little crunch.
Dressing may separate upon standing, just re-mix with a fork or whisk. You don’t need alot of it to flavor this salad.