This recipe comes from my friend and business partner Julie Parrish. Julie is a great cook and used to own a spice company so she really has a knack for combining flavors and making a tasty dish. Julie is new to crock-pot cooking and just got her first crock-pot but she says that her family loved this recipe for potato soup that she did up in her slow cooker. Julie is an avid gardener and a few years ago turned much of her suburban yard into edible plants (envious!) and her and her kids just harvested potatoes out of her garden so she needed a recipe to us up some of that harvest. Here it is…
|Crock-Pot Potato Soup||
- Soup Base
- 32 Ounces Chicken Broth
- 1 ½ Pounds Potato (Skin Optional) Diced In ¼ in. Cubes
- Pound Carrots, Diced Small
- Cup Chardonnay Or Dry White Wine
- 6 Slices Of Cooked Bacon, Diced
- 4 Oz. Diced Ham
- 3-4 Tablespoons Butter
- 5 Cloves Fresh Garlic, Minced
- Cup Finely Diced White Or Yellow Onion
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Celery Seed
- 1 Teaspoon Mustard Seed Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Poultry Seasoning
- 1 Teaspoon Thyme
- 1 Teaspoon Parsley
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika
- Thicken With
- Cup Flour
- Cup Half N’ Half Creamer Or Whole Cream
- Cream Base For Soup
- 2 Cups Milk
- 1 Cup Half N Half Creamer Or Whole Cream
- Cup Flour
- In the crock pot combine broth, potatoes, carrots, wine, bacon and ham.
- In a fry pan, sauté the butter, garlic, onion, Worcestershire sauce and spices until the onion is cooked.
- To your sauté pan add ½ cup flour and ½ cup half n half or whole cream to thicken and into a roux. Add spice mixture to crock-pot and stir to combine.
- Cook for either 6 hours on high, or 10 hours on low or until potatoes are soft.
- During the last half hour of cooking add the 2 cups milk, 1 cup half n half or whole cream and 1/4 cup flour, stir to combine and cook 30 more minutes. Garnish with chopped fresh chives and serve!
Don’t forget to share YOUR recipe with us (and the world!) too and be entered to win a brand new Crock-Pot in our monthly giveaway!