I love cooking new vegetarian dishes. Not only is it great for your body but great for your wallet! This Moroccan inspired dish can be made with chicken but I decided to make a vegetarian version this time around. If you’d rather add the chicken, just add 2 skinless and boneless breasts cut into chunks into the recipe. In addition to tasting great, I love how colorful this stew is. Great fall colors with the squash, tomatoes and carrots!
Crock-Pot Moroccan Tagine (Vegetarian Version)
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Medium Onion, Chopped
3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
1 Small Butternut Squash, Peeled and Chopped*
2 15 Ounce Cans Garbanzo Beans (Chick Peas), Drained and Rinsed
2 14.5 Ounce Cans Diced Fire Roasted Tomatoes With Juice
2 Carrots, Peeled and Chopped
18 Ounces Vegetable Broth
1 Tablespoon Sugar
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
1 Teaspoon Ground Coriander
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
- Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until soft.
- Mix the other ingredients in the crock-pot.
- Add onion and garlic and stir.
- Cook on low for about 6 hours.
- Carrots should be tender.
- Serve over couscous or rice if desired.
* I cheated and bought the already peeled squash from the store. They didn’t have the type that was chopped up too or I would have bought this. I would not however make this with frozen squash.
If you enjoyed this post please share it!