Crock-Pot Mexican Red Beans
Author: Lady Tara
Recipe type: Entree
You can eat this hearty red bean dish alone as a main course or add to chili. I serve this over rice. Great on a cold night!
- One Pound Dried Red Beans (Kidney Beans or Pink Beans Okay Too), Soaked Overnight
- 4 Cups Cold Water
- 1 Large Onion, Coarsely Chopped
- 1 Pound Can Tomatoes (I Use Whole But You May Want to Use Crushed Or Diced)
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 2 Teaspoons Chili Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- ¼ Pound Bacon, Chopped
- Cooked Rice, If Desired
- Put soaked and drained beans into your crock.
- Add water and all remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on High for 2 hours then turn down to low for 8 hours.
- Stir and serve alone or over rice or add to your favorite chili in place of canned beans.
Serves four if used as an entree but will serve more if used as a side dish or added to chili. My family enjoys this over rice. I don’t cook my bacon first but I did wonder if it would come out crispier and add more flavor if I did. You could also lose the bacon to make this a vegetarian recipe. Do not double this recipe.