Crock-Pot Key Lime Squares
1 Cup Stick Butter, softened
1/2 Cup White Sugar
2 Cups Flour
7 to 11 Key Limes (depends on how much flavor you want)
1/4 Cup Flour
1 1/2 Cups White Sugar
Powder Sugar for dusting the tops.
- In Medium size bowl, combine the first three ingredients.
- This is your crust.
- Using a spoon, form the crust on the bottom of a pan.
- Remember this pan needs to fit into your crock-pot. This recipe is enough for two crock size pans that will fit in the Crock-Pot.
- Set this pan in the bottom of the crock-pot.
- Cook on high for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes. You will see the sides start to turn slightly brown and the center is no longer doughy.
- If you have the key-lime portion ready, add it now. If not, remove the lid from the crock-pot until the second part is ready.
- In another bowl, add the white sugar and flour.
- Mix well,
- Next add in the 4 eggs and mix well.
- Cut your key limes in half and squeeze the juice out into a separate bowl.
- Check the juice to remove any seeds that might of gotten in there.
- Add the juice to the mixture and stir well.
- Add this mixture evenly between the two pans with the already cooked crust
- Place these back in the crock-pot and cook for an additional 35 – 40 minute or until you see the key lime portion begin to puff up and settle.
- Remove pan from crock-pot and cool.
- Cut cookie size key-lime squares and place onto a plate.
- Dust the tops with powder sugar and serve.
I first tried to cook the crust with a little water in the bottom of the crock-pot. But found that this just made my crust portion doughy. I then tried it with just crust in a pan set in the bottom of the crock-pot. This worked great.
The first picture is the bowl I used. Really any cooking pan that you can use in the oven will work in the crock-pot. It just needs to fit in the crock-pot and you need to be able to get it out. The second is this bowl sitting on the bottom of the crock-pot. Just trying to give you a better visual.
Linked up at Made With Love