This is a great vegan, low fat and dairy free recipe from reader Geeta Ranbhor.
Crock-Pot Indian Chickpea
1 Teaspoon Cooking Oil (vegetable or canola)
1 Large Onion, diced
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 Inch Ginger, grated
2 15 oz. Cans Chickpeas (rinse and drain them thoroughly before using)
3 Cups Water
3 Medium Tomatoes Diced Tomatoes
1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
1 Teaspoon Turmeric
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala (Indian mix of spices, available in grocery stores. If you can’t find it you can substitute with curry powder)
- In a pan heat oil and saute onion, ginger, garlic for 5 minutes until raw smell reduces.
- Place this onion mixture along with rest of the ingredients in a crock pot (except garam masala)
- Add more water (if needed) to bring the water level to the top of beans.
- You can add some more water if needed while cooking.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Add garam masala before serving.
- GARNISH SUGGESTIONS : Garnish with lemon wedges, cilantro, raw onion slices.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS : Serve with Steamed Basmati rice (aromatic indian rice) or Naan (oven baked indian flat bread, easily available in frozen section or you can make it at home from scratch)
- You can add 1 cubed potato to this curry (in step 2) if you like.
- You can add 2 sliced green chillies (in step 2) to make it spicier