I made this and had my oldest daughter test it out. She decided she wanted just this for a snack. This does take most of a day to make unless you start to cook the apple before going to bed. Put in pretty little jelly jars and put a ribbon around them and put in baskets for gifts! Great on toast, crackers, in place of regular jelly in a PB&J or just from the bowl!
Crock-Pot Caramel Apple Butter
3 lbs Red Delicious Apples (about 12) cored and quartered
1 Cup Apple Cider (or 1-2 cups White Sugar if you need to substitute)
1 Bag of Caramels
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
- Place apples and Apple cider in crock-pot. If you are using sugar instead, just put apples in for now.
- Cook apples on low for 5 hours.Apples should crumble and smoosh just by stirring.
- Remove apples and place in food mill. Discard solids left over.
- Place apple puree back into crock pot. Add Cinnamon and Cloves. If you are using sugar instead of cider, now is the time to add this. Add it slowly and stir it in. You do not want too much sugar so taste it until you feel it is good enough.
- Cook on low in crock-pot for 2 hours until mixture is creamy.
- Add Caramels and stir in.
- Cook on low until caramels are dissolved.
- You will need betwen 8 and 10 Jelly jars cleaned, lids and rings to fit.
- Fill jars within an inch of the top. Jar rims must be clean.
- Secure lids and rings on jars.
- Place in boiling water bath for 15 minute.
- Check for seals.
- Label jars and keep in your cupboard.