Crock-Pot Beef Stew
Author: Lady Tara
Recipe type: Stew
This is something I have been making for years. I’ve adapted it from a Rival Crock-Pot cook book and added mushrooms because I love mushrooms. You’ll want to add some quick-cooking or instant tapioca to thicken it up.
- 2 Pounds Stew Beef with the Fat Trimmed Off
- 1- 1 Pound, 28 Ounce Can Whole Tomatoes
- 5 Carrots, Quartered
- 2 Large Onions, Peeled and Quartered
- ½ Cup Instant Tapioca (Quick Cooking Tapioca)
- ¼ Cup Water
- 1 Pound White Mushrooms, Stems Removed and Sliced (Optional)
- Salt, To Taste
- Pepper, To Taste
- 2 Whole Cloves
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Garlic Powder, To Taste
- Basil, To Taste
- Put all ingredients in the crock-pot.
- Cook on low for about 10 hours or high for 5-6 hours.
I typically don’t peel my carrots. Partially because I’m lazy and partially because I believe a lot of the nutrients are in the peel. So scrub the carrots really well and cut them in to 1-2 inch long pieces. I also don’t measure my spices and herbs so I will tell you I go heavy on the salt and pepper and garlic. You can find what works for you. If you prefer to skip the tapioca or don’t have any in your house, your stew will just be a little thinner. You may be able to use flour or cornstarch to thicken it but I have never tried. The good thing about the tapioca is it won’t affect the flavor.