This is the basic Crock -Pot Apple Butter recipe. This is good on crackers, toast, bread, in place of jelly in PB&J sandwiches or straight from the bowl. You can also put this on ice cream as a topping.
3lbs Red Delicious Apples cored and quartered
1 Cup Apple Cider (or 1-2 cups of White Sugar in recplace of Cider)
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
- Place apples and Apple cider in crock-pot. If you are using sugar instead, just put apples in for now.
- Cook apples on low for 5 hours.Apples should crumble and smoosh just by stirring.
- Remove apples and place in food mill. Discard solids left over.
- Place apple puree back into crock pot. Add Cinnamon and Cloves. If you are using sugar instead of cider, now is the time to add this. Add it slowly and stir it in. You do not want too much sugar so taste it until you feel it is good enough.
- Cook on low in crock-pot for 2 hours until mixture is creamy.
- You will need betwen 8 and 10 Jelly jars cleaned, lids and rings to fit.
- Fill jars within an inch of the top. Jar rims must be clean.
- Secure lids and rings on jars.
- Place in boiling water bath for 15 minute.
- Check for seals.
- Label jars and keep in your cupboard.