We have had a few requests recently for some vegetarian dishes made in the crock-pot so we are going to see what we can come up with! While none of us ladies are vegetarian we are always willing to give it a try. Going meatless one day a week is not that hard. I grew up vegetarian as a small child and so I don’t think it is too hard to find some great meatless dishes and introduce them to my kids. Today’s Meatless Monday recipe is for an acorn squash soup. Very easy to prepare and while my children balked at the bowl of soup put before them (honestly it sort of looked like baby food) I bribed them with Halloween candy encouraged them to just give it a try. And so they did, and so they actually liked the soup. I served it with a crusty load of french bread and they liked using the soup as a dip for their bread. That works for this mom! This soup is full of fiber, low in fat (well practically zero fat really) and is quite tasty.
Tip – Cutting an acorn squash is difficult. Learn how to cut a hard squash.
Here is the recipe, let me know if you give it a try!
|Crock-Pot Acorn Squash Soup||
- 2 Medium Acorn Squashes, Cut into wedges
- 1 Small Yellow Onion, finely diced
- 1 (32 Oz.) Carton Low-Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 1 Clove Garlic, Minced
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Thyme
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Rosemary
- Whipping Cream, optional
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Place wedges of squash into a 6-quart crock-pot.
- Add vegetable broth, onion, garlic, thyme and rosemary.
- Cover and cook on low 4-6 hours until squash is tender.
- Fish squash wedges out of crock-pot and place on a plate and set aside to cool to the touch.
- Once squash is cool enough to handle, use a spoon to scoop the flesh out of the skin and add the flesh back into the crock-pot.
- Cook for 20-30 minutes more in the covered crock-pot to warm the squash back up.
- Puree the soup in the crock-pot with a hand-held immersion blender. Additionally you can purée in a regular blender, be careful blending hot liquids.
Serve with a nice crusty bread and salad for a filling and nutritious meatless meal.
Optionally you may wish to top each bowl with 1 teaspoon heavy whipping cream to add just a smooth touch to the palate.