Crock-Pot Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallows
This delicious recipe for Crock-Pot Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallows is the perfect side dish for your holiday meals.
The sweet potatoes (yams) are lightly spiced with warm cinnamon & nutmeg, sweetened up with brown sugar and then topped with a melty marshmallow topping.
I really enjoy making this classic sweet potatoes with marshmallows in the slow cooker versus the oven as it frees up my oven for other holiday dishes like the ham, turkey, rolls etc. that need to be cooked in the oven. Plus if you are asked to bring a dish to a holiday dinner toting it in your slow cooker is nice. Just plug it in when you get to your destination and you will have a nice hot dish to serve!
Crock Pot Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallows
This recipe is by my sister Mary and is a dish we all enjoy at the holidays.
5 Large Sweet Potatoes (your store may call them Yams*)
1/4 Cup butter, melted
1 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1 Teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 Cup light brown sugar
½ Cup of Orange Juice
3 Cups of Mini Marshmallows
- Scrub and peel the sweet potatoes.
- Cube sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch dice.
- Place sweet potatoes, butter, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and brown sugar in the bottom of a 4 quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW 6 hours or HIGH 3 hours until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Using a potato masher mash the sweet potatoes to your desired consistency.
- Add 1/2 Cup of Orange Juice
- Cover with marshmallows and cover and cook an additional 20 – 30 minutes until marshmallows are melted on top.
* There is much confusion between a yam and a sweet potato. Here in the United States, what you find at your grocery store..that is labeled a Yam..is a sweet potato. Technically a Yam, is a white tuber with little taste, that can only be found normally in ethic stores. We may call those big huge tubers at the store a Yam, but they are a sweet potato.
* For another variation use pumpkin pie spice instead of the cinnamon and nutmeg. It adds another dimension of flavor!